Dumb 4x4 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dumb 4x4 question

Originally Posted by dantheman
I might be wrong, but I'd guess there is a center differential that splits torque between the front and rear wheels. If you were to unhook the rear drive shaft it seems like several terrible things could happen.

If you've ever seen how a 2WD car behaves when one wheel is on ice and the other is not, you know that normally the one on ice spins free and the other one with grip doesn't do much good at all (unless you have traction control or a limited slip diff). I think you'd run into a problem akin to putting your rear wheels on ice all the time. Not a good idea, IMO.

-dan
"..I might be wrong..."

Might..??

No, you are WRONG...!!

The FE/FEH F/awd system consists of a simple ring and pinion PTO that constantly couples engine drive HP to the electromagnetic clutch assembly mounted within the rear diff'l case. That rear electromagnetic clutch is used to somewhat "linearly", incrementally, control TORQUE coupling to the rear drive wheels. The rear drive is so rarely engaged/used, SOLIDLY engaged even more rarely, on frictional surfaces that the Ford engineers decided that the resulting driveline windup, tire-scrubbing, etc, would not represent a serious issue.

Obviously they have now been proven to be wrong.

PTOs are failing left and right as a result of their being the weak link in the driveline windup equation.

"..if you've ever seen how.."

Following this statement is a rather perfect description of the way the HL, RX and Sienna F/awd system operated until recent times. While the RX350 and Sienna have now been updated with a virtual duplicate of the FE/FEH F/awd system the HL still remains with a simple open center diff'l and absent TC would be, and remain, a simple ONE-WHEEL drive system.

Last edited by wwest; 01-20-2010 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by GaryG
The '08 and older FEH did not come with TC.

GaryG
Not sure, but I think you might have meant to say...

"..did not come with Stability Control..."

I currently have not much respect for Ford but even so it is hard for me to imagine the FE/FEH not having a safety system, TC, that most marques began integrading into their FWD and F/awd product series all the way back in 2000.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
Not sure, but I think you might have meant to say...

"..did not come with Stability Control..."

I currently have not much respect for Ford but even so it is hard for me to imagine the FE/FEH not having a safety system, TC, that most marques began integrading into their FWD and F/awd product series all the way back in 2000.
Read this Willard, the '09 FEH was the first FEH with SC and TC.

"The Escape has respectable if not exciting performance. It's certainly no sports car, but it has no trouble accelerating up to merge with freeway traffic. The steering feel is responsive and nicely weighted with no slop in the mechanism. The brakes had good pedal feel and were easily modulated. The standard Escape has a conventional hydraulic friction brake system with a vacuum booster and gets Roll Stability Control with traction control as standard equipment. The hybrid has regenerative braking that is blended with the friction braking. The electro-hydraulic brake system which is used to provide this functionality only has ABS with no traction or stability control making this the only SUV in the Ford lineup lacking that capability. Applying the throttle too aggressively on lower friction surfaces can get the front wheels spinning freely and you definitely don't want to take corners too aggressively."
http://green.autoblog.com/2007/06/05...escape-hybrid/

Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM

'...'09..first FEH with SC and TC..."

Yes, I understand that latter FEH's included both TC AND SC.

Sorry, I just have no faith in the "truth" of the green.autoblog statement, TOO much faith in Ford..?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
'...'09..first FEH with SC and TC..."

Yes, I understand that latter FEH's included both TC AND SC.

Sorry, I just have no faith in the "truth" of the green.autoblog statement, TOO much faith in Ford..?
When I could get straight gas I could light-up my right front tire only for 20 feet in a right turn. Would TC prevent this?

GaryG

Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM

When I could get straight gas I could light-up my right front tire only for 20 feet in a right turn. Would TC prevent this?

GaryG
If you mean you spin your right front tire, then yes, TC should help this.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
If you mean you spin your right front tire, then yes, TC should help this.
Yes, that what I meant and that's what I thought. It does not make me proud that my '05 FEH does not have SC or TC and Ford is not going to advertise it. If greenautoblog stated incorrectly I'm sure Ford would have them correct it.

GaryG

Old 01-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

pulled fuse 18 (2007 mmh) set the "4x4 service required" msg. Hit reset button to clear and drove.
I only drove 1 day but looks like I might have gained 1 mpg. it's a short haul only 2
trips there and back @ 9 mi ea.
Got my workshop manual today, good reading

Old 01-20-2010, 02:37 PM

the Ford engineers decided that the resulting driveline windup, tire-scrubbing, etc, would not represent a serious issue.

Obviously they have now been proven to be wrong.

PTOs are failing left and right

Good grief! This poster has failed to provide any hard data to support such statements. Until such time consider such statements as nothing more than that from fantasyland.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM

Yes, that what I meant and that's what I thought. It does not make me proud that my '05 FEH does not have SC or TC and Ford is not going to advertise it. If greenautoblog stated incorrectly I'm sure Ford would have them correct it.

GaryG
Gary,
The lack of TC/RSC was the reason I got an AWD. I didn't like the feel of the FWD during turns, and I knew there was no stability control.

Quick Reply: Dumb 4x4 question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands