Dumb 4x4 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Dumb 4x4 question

Originally Posted by GaryG
When I could get straight gas I could light-up my right front tire only for 20 feet in a right turn. Would TC prevent this?

GaryG
Obviously your right front drive halfshaft is shorter then the left one. Without wheelspin you would suffer a serious level of torque stear.

But to answer your question: Yes, absolutely, with even the slightest level of front wheelspin/slip TC will INSTANTLY dethrottle the engine (HSD drive system) and begin "hammering" the brakes.

Last edited by wwest; 01-20-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevedebi
If you mean you spin your right front tire, then yes, TC should help this.
"...TC should help this..."

Well, yes and no.

Help, in this case, is a rather subjective term. Many owners would undoubtedly agree with me that TC is more often a hindrance (PITA, really) rather than a "help".

Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by GaryG
Read this Willard, the '09 FEH was the first FEH with SC and TC.

"The Escape has respectable if not exciting performance. It's certainly no sports car, but it has no trouble accelerating up to merge with freeway traffic. The steering feel is responsive and nicely weighted with no slop in the mechanism. The brakes had good pedal feel and were easily modulated. The standard Escape has a conventional hydraulic friction brake system with a vacuum booster and gets Roll Stability Control with traction control as standard equipment. The hybrid has regenerative braking that is blended with the friction braking. The electro-hydraulic brake system which is used to provide this functionality only has ABS with no traction or stability control making this the only SUV in the Ford lineup lacking that capability. Applying the throttle too aggressively on lower friction surfaces can get the front wheels spinning freely and you definitely don't want to take corners too aggressively."
http://green.autoblog.com/2007/06/05...escape-hybrid/
I now concede, Ford engineers are even more mentally compromised than even I have thought. VSC being not included in the earlier models of the FEH is somewhat excuseable, but no TC.....

Last edited by wwest; 01-21-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

TC isn't always a good thing, If you have time check out a similar discussion the lexus owners club hybrid section). People report not being able to go up slight inclines with the 400h. Almost caused me almost not to buy my wife one, but we don't get rediculous amount here in sunny St. Louis

Old 01-21-2010, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by subdewd
TC isn't always a good thing, If you have time check out a similar discussion the lexus owners club hybrid section). People report not being able to go up slight inclines with the 400h. Almost caused me almost not to buy my wife one, but we don't get rediculous amount here in sunny St. Louis
If you want to sell the public FWD vehicles, patently UNSAFE FWD vehicles for wintertime adverse roadbed conditions, then it is best to find some nefarious way to label them as having some form of AWD, F/awd in this case. A totally open center diff'l allows the manufacturers to say "AWD" when in reality the only AWD functionality is at times of little need, all 4 wheels having equal traction.

And then throw in TC inexpensively for "forcing" torque reapportionment and implementing a "virtual" rear LSD for the few buyers who aren't buying "it".

Least we forget it was Mercedes Benz, the ML320, that first introduced this flawed F/awd system.

Last edited by wwest; 01-21-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Imported from Detroit

The following is from a Ford WorkShop Manual under AWD Function Tests.

What do you gather from this test?

A7 CHECK FOR TORQUE AT REAR WHEELS USING PWM OUTPUT CONTROL COMMAND #1 (CLCH_SOL) ACTIVE COMMAND
  • Enter the following diagnostic mode on the scan tool: DataLogger — 4X4 Control Module.
  • Using the scan tool, command CLCH_ SOL to energize the ATC solenoid to a constant 100% applied.
  • Drive the vehicle in a fully locked turn, on dry pavement, at 8 km/h (5 mph).
  • Does the vehicle bind in the turn or resist turning?
Yes
END the active command. The concern can not be duplicated at this time. RETURN the vehicle to the customer.

No
END the active command. CHECK that the driveshaft rotates when the transaxle is in gear. If yes, GO to Pinpoint Test D. If no, CHECK the Power Transfer Unit (PTU). REFER to Section 308-07B.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:39 PM

If you want to sell the public FWD vehicles, patently UNSAFE FWD vehicles for wintertime adverse roadbed conditions,....

Like season allergies, posts about unsafe FWD vehicle appear in the colder months. Consider it nothing more than "more from fantasyland" as the poster drives just such a vehicle.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:48 PM

With a fully locked rear drive then driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing will be at its worse in a tight turn on a highly tractive surface, the tighter the better. Vibratory feedback to the stearing wheel will be, might be, extreme.

The only thing missing is a caution note to the mechanic/technician to grip the stearing wheel only lightly and be sure and keep his/her thumbs on the outside of the stearing wheel rim.

"RETURN the vehicle to the customer.."

Pretty INCOMPLETE test if "that's" it. Nothing to indicate that the F/awd control module is using the correct level of "lockup" in the various circumstances required.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 PM
Imported from Detroit

Originally Posted by wwest
With a fully locked rear drive then driveline windup and/or tire scrubbing will be at its worse in a tight turn on a highly tractive surface, the tighter the better. Vibratory feedback to the stearing wheel will be, might be, extreme.

The only thing missing is a caution note to the mechanic/technician to grip the stearing wheel only lightly and be sure and keep his/her thumbs on the outside of the stearing wheel rim.

"RETURN the vehicle to the customer.."

Pretty INCOMPLETE test if "that's" it. Nothing to indicate that the F/awd control module is using the correct level of "lockup" in the various circumstances required.
I've seen where people are talking about the center differential or one between the front and rear. This proves that there isn't any!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Proves...no.

You could have a center diff'l with an integral electromagentic clutch to bypass/lock it and the test, and the test results, might be exactly the same. But in point of fact the FE/FEH do have a PTO, these do not have center diff'ls.

Last edited by wwest; 01-23-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Dumb 4x4 question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands