A/C mechanic in Seattle area that understands 2008 FEH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 12:25 PM
newb
Default A/C mechanic in Seattle area that understands 2008 FEH?

I modified the title of a similar post since it was basically asking the same thing I'm wondering (but in SoCal): can anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area suggest an AC mechanic who they trust to work on their 2008 FEH's AC system?
My compressor is leaking, and I'm worried it will fail and cause further damage, expenses, etc and I'd like to have it inspected and replaced if needed. I've done a solid bit of reading on the topic via this forum (long-time listener; first time caller) and a trusted FB group, but since I'm absolutely not a mechanic or well-versed with anything except basic stuff, I want to take it to someone I can *hopefully* develop a relation with in case of future repairs, etc. I've heard some horror stories about AC repairs through local shops, and want to avoid the expensive dealership, but thought I'd throw a stone and ask here. Many thanks if you know someone!

Old 02-26-2023, 01:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C mechanic in Seattle area that understands 2008 FEH?

Originally Posted by colducktime4435
I modified the title of a similar post since it was basically asking the same thing I'm wondering (but in SoCal): can anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area suggest an AC mechanic who they trust to work on their 2008 FEH's AC system?
My compressor is leaking, and I'm worried it will fail and cause further damage, expenses, etc and I'd like to have it inspected and replaced if needed. I've done a solid bit of reading on the topic via this forum (long-time listener; first time caller) and a trusted FB group, but since I'm absolutely not a mechanic or well-versed with anything except basic stuff, I want to take it to someone I can *hopefully* develop a relation with in case of future repairs, etc. I've heard some horror stories about AC repairs through local shops, and want to avoid the expensive dealership, but thought I'd throw a stone and ask here. Many thanks if you know someone!
The FEH didn't switch to an electric AC system until 2010. Any competent AC mechanic should be able to work on your 08's.

Old 02-26-2023, 02:54 PM
newb

Originally Posted by GatorJ
The FEH didn't switch to an electric AC system until 2010. Any competent AC mechanic should be able to work on your 08's.
If you don't mind my asking, how can I tell they are competent; not taking me for a ride, etc? ie: any red flags I should look out for when scouting?
This is my first time taking a vehicle (let alone this particular generation of Hybrid) in for AC (I'm a windows-down kinda guy)

Old 02-27-2023, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

ask around your community aboout competent AC shops. As the previous post states, nothing special about the 08 a/c. It does have "rear" air to aid cooling the battery but works like a rear air on any suv with rear air for passengers. The compressor is very common so should not be that expensive. If it has not self destructed and sent contaminants througout the system, a good shop can replace it and the accumulator, vacuum it down, recharge with refrigerant and you will be on your way. I would expect around $750 for this work.

Old 02-27-2023, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast

I’ve been taking my 2007 FEH to A1 Auto Repair on 16th Ave SW in White Center. They don’t have the best communication skills, but they specialize in Prius repair/rebuilds and seem reasonably competent working on the FEH and charge reasonable rates. A lot of Uber drivers go there.

In fact I had my A/C compressor replaced there last year (it was leaking and the refrigerant was completely gone less than a year after a recharge). I bought a replacement compressor kit from RockAuto ahead of time, which would have saved me about $200 except that RockAuto shipped the wrong part, so then A1 instead had to order the part through their standard supplier since they had already started taking the vehicle apart and I needed it back in a couple days. But I like that A1 is cool with me procuring my own parts when I can pinpoint the problem myself and wait a week for shipping, it’s saved me $ with other repairs.

Last edited by zeerok; 02-27-2023 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2023, 04:20 PM
newb

Originally Posted by ugmw177
ask around your community aboout competent AC shops. As the previous post states, nothing special about the 08 a/c. It does have "rear" air to aid cooling the battery but works like a rear air on any suv with rear air for passengers. The compressor is very common so should not be that expensive. If it has not self destructed and sent contaminants througout the system, a good shop can replace it and the accumulator, vacuum it down, recharge with refrigerant and you will be on your way. I would expect around $750 for this work.
Thanks for these points, especially the one about the contaminants. As far as I can tell, my compressor still works (somewhat cold air, no DTCs) and hasn't shown signs of failure other than leaking. My plan was to replace the compressor before it totally fails and potentially screws other components, costing me a lot more money. I don't know anything about AC, let alone AC on vehicles, and have been trying to learn as I go along. Picking up pieces of info from online forums/groups as well as the Workshop Manual has lead me to a general understanding that the 2008's HV battery is at least *somehow* partially cooled by it's AC system, which I guess also lead me to believe that it would be somehow more complicated and/or delicate than a "traditional" system. Hearing that a good shop will not be stymied by it, and getting a general idea of what their process will look like as you've outlined is greatly reassuring-- thanks again.

Old 02-28-2023, 04:30 PM
newb

Originally Posted by zeerok
I’ve been taking my 2007 FEH to A1 Auto Repair on 16th Ave SW in White Center. They don’t have the best communication skills, but they specialize in Prius repair/rebuilds and seem reasonably competent working on the FEH and charge reasonable rates. A lot of Uber drivers go there.

In fact I had my A/C compressor replaced there last year (it was leaking and the refrigerant was completely gone less than a year after a recharge). I bought a replacement compressor kit from RockAuto ahead of time, which would have saved me about $200 except that RockAuto shipped the wrong part, so then A1 instead had to order the part through their standard supplier since they had already started taking the vehicle apart and I needed it back in a couple days. But I like that A1 is cool with me procuring my own parts when I can pinpoint the problem myself and wait a week for shipping, it’s saved me $ with other repairs.
Thank you-- My compressor is also leaking, but I haven't recharged it as I'm not equipped to do so (don't really know much at all about AC). It's great to know that having found the problem, I have the option to bring them a compressor and/or other parts like you did, and that they probably won't be upset. I have a lot of photos and input I can give them, so I figure that should make their experience less of a hassle too. I was going to get a compressor from Rockauto as well, but I still have some additional math to figure out.

Old 03-05-2023, 07:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by colducktime4435
Thank you-- My compressor is also leaking, but I haven't recharged it as I'm not equipped to do so (don't really know much at all about AC). It's great to know that having found the problem, I have the option to bring them a compressor and/or other parts like you did, and that they probably won't be upset. I have a lot of photos and input I can give them, so I figure that should make their experience less of a hassle too. I was going to get a compressor from Rockauto as well, but I still have some additional math to figure out.
Do not drive your FEH with a comprised AC system, it uses that system to cool the HVTB. You can probably get away with longer in cooler months, but the car's computer will prevent the vehicle from going into EV mode when the HVTB reaches a certain temperature.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:56 PM
newb

Originally Posted by GatorJ
Do not drive your FEH with a comprised AC system, it uses that system to cool the HVTB. You can probably get away with longer in cooler months, but the car's computer will prevent the vehicle from going into EV mode when the HVTB reaches a certain temperature.
Completely agree. In fact, it's for those exact reasons that I made my original post-- I need to get the issue resolved before the warmer months come and things get risky. Luckily I've still got cold air and the leaks aren't excessive, at the moment.