Auto dimming mirror

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Enthusiast
Default Auto dimming mirror

I just bought an '09 FEHL w/nav (yay!) I've been posting a lot lately and have gotten a lot of great responses, thanks to everyone for their help.

It looks like there is an auto-dimming mirror in the FEHL...I've had these in the past and I'm in the minority of people who don't like them. I guess I like to be blasted by bright lights behind me. In any event, my past auto-dimming mirrors have had an off switch that allowed me to disable them. Does the '09 FEHL have one, and if not, is there a workaround (i.e., tape)?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto dimming mirror

I'd cover the sensors with black electrical (or equally opaque) tape. Is there one on front and back?

Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfranci
I just bought an '09 FEHL w/nav (yay!) I've been posting a lot lately and have gotten a lot of great responses, thanks to everyone for their help.

It looks like there is an auto-dimming mirror in the FEHL...I've had these in the past and I'm in the minority of people who don't like them. I guess I like to be blasted by bright lights behind me. In any event, my past auto-dimming mirrors have had an off switch that allowed me to disable them. Does the '09 FEHL have one, and if not, is there a workaround (i.e., tape)?
Remove it and send it to me, and I'll give you a non dimming one

Old 11-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the auto-dimming sensor is just below the mirror in the center. I'd try covering that with electrical tape and see if that works. If not you're only out a little tape.

There are also mirror covers available. Like this enhanced rear view mirror that is curved to give a wider angle which might be a bonus to you.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 AM

I thought the sensor on the dash was for turning the headlights on?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Could be, but what can it hurt to cover the sensor on the mirror and see what happens?

Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM

No harm, it's already been suggested. There's a front and back sensor on the mirror and I think it compares the light on both sides to determine if it's going to dim or not. I'd cover both with electrical tape, which will be similar to the color of the black mirror. I feel they use a stock auto-chromatic mirror so all the sensors are built into the mirror.

FWIW, I covered the dash-top sensor with my hand and the headlights came on.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MyPart
Could be, but what can it hurt to cover the sensor on the mirror and see what happens?
Originally Posted by MyPart
I'm pretty sure the auto-dimming sensor is just below the mirror in the center. I'd try covering that with electrical tape and see if that works. If not you're only out a little tape.

There are also mirror covers available. Like this enhanced rear view mirror that is curved to give a wider angle which might be a bonus to you.
Anytime I put up my parking pass on my mirror pulling into a football or basketball game in the middle of the day it automatically dims (like it's night)... I don't know what could be done to do the oppisite and I can't see why anyone would want to not have the auto dimming mirror.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

There are two sensors on the mirror. Just cover the one that you can see (pointing towards the rear of the vehicle). The sensor on the front side of the mirror measures ambient light outside of the front of the vehicle. So if it's day time, the mirror will not dim. The sensor on the dash is for headlights only. Another option would be to disconnect the power wires running to the mirror.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 PM

Make sure you don't have the navi model because the mic is built into the auto dimming mirror. I wanted to get a HomeLink mirror, but decided against it since I have the navi model.