Installing the auto-dimming mirror

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 05:41 PM
Double enthusiast
Default Installing the auto-dimming mirror

Has anyone installed the auto-dimming mirror? I've got one coming, and it looks like I may have bitten off more than I can chew! I found the install instructions online, and to me they're confusing to say the least. Hopefully, when I see the actual thing, it will be a little clearer.
If you've done the job, are there any "gotchas"? I'm wondering whether or not I really have to disconnect the battery ground terminal. If I do so, I then lose anti-theft programming, and some of the auto window up/down functions.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Installing the auto-dimming mirror

DO make sure you have radio unlock code before disconnecting the battery. Its simply a matter of keying the code back in, I found out the hard way.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

I'll be installing one such mirror in my civic in the next month. I'll report back as soon as I do.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I installed mine on my HCHII. It is straight forward like the directions say. There are no surprises. When you use the mallet, just make sure you put a old t-shirt over the contact point...I am sure you don’t want scratched up a pillars.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:23 AM
Double enthusiast

I finally got this job done. Had a minor problem with Saccucci Honda (HondaPartsDeals), the part supplier (they only sent half of the kit), but they were very prompt to send me the missing stuff.

Probably the hardest part of the job was routing the cable under the headliner. It's one of those times where you can't see what you're doing, but the good news is that everything is hidden anyway. It would really help if you had three hands!

I like the new mirror. It seems to do a good job of dimming, and I REALLY love the compass on the mirror. I have Nav, but you can't really tell your direction accurately from the little bitty compass arrow on the nav screen.

Old 12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

i just read the installation instructions and its ridiculous and I'll pass on it. I bought an auto dimming mirror for my Subaru (from the same OEM manufacturer from the looks of it) and there was a pre-existing connection in the overhead light socket. I just unscrewed the old mirror, put in the new one and connected the harness and it was done. Honda makes their add on products so ridiculously difficult to install that i have nixed the idea of adding hundreds of dollars of accessories to my 3 Honda's - their loss.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:54 PM

The instructions are straight forward. It would take about 30 mins to get it done. It is really useful if you don't have the navi since the mirror has a compass and also to dim the headlights of suvs and such.

Old 12-04-2006, 04:40 AM
Double enthusiast

Well, I must be pretty dense, as there was NO WAY I could have installed the autodimming mirror in 30 minutes. It took me that long to get up the courage to start removing things. I will say that after I finally started, it probably took me about two hours to complete the job. Now, if I were to do ANOTHER installation, yes, 30 minutes is more doable. There were several possible "gotchas", mainly having to do with reinstalling items.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:43 AM

Well, I am glad you did choose to install it. Your eyes with thank you for it. After having it in previous car it was a must for me. What else did you plan on accessorizing your car with?

Old 12-04-2006, 07:40 AM
Double enthusiast

Right now, I'm not sure. I'd like to get the all-weather floor mats, would like to have a similar mat for the trunk too. Possibly I'll add XM radio. Really, the car has most of the things I want straight from the factory (Nav, MP3, great cup holders, voice command, etc). One item I found interesting (at least for me) is that the nav on the HCH is WAY better than the nav on my wife's HiHy. It's easier to use, has a bit more detail, and a LOT more flexibility re entering addresses, displaying POIs, etc.

Quick Reply: Installing the auto-dimming mirror

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands