About to purchase a FEH have a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default About to purchase a FEH have a question

I'll probably make a purchase tomorrow, normally I have splash guards added to the vehicle to protect the paint from stone chips. Given some of the work that has gone into reducing wind resistance, is this a bad idea or given this is a boxy SUV anyway, am I making much ado about nothing?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Default Re: About to purchase a FEH have a question

Originally Posted by carnut
I'll probably make a purchase tomorrow, normally I have splash guards added to the vehicle to protect the paint from stone chips. Given some of the work that has gone into reducing wind resistance, is this a bad idea or given this is a boxy SUV anyway, am I making much ado about nothing?
My advise is to forget the splash guards and enjoy the most fuel efficient SUV on the Planet.

GaryG

Old 02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by carnut
The factory molded splash guards are too small to be of any use. I would get after market mud flaps. Lots of threads here (and pictures) of various mud flaps that fit well on the FEH.

Last edited by econoline; 02-18-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:24 AM

So far I have the flat Ford flaps upfront. Do they help? a little. Does it affect FE? who knows, probably a little, good excuse to lose 10#'s to compensate There are now molded flaps available, I might get them, but after detailing the car a week or so ago, I didn't notice much dirt/buildup on the rear so I may not. There is a long thread here somewhere with pics.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:06 PM

The car/mud-flaps can "help in regards to keeping snow off the side off the vehicle" if one lives where there is snow or frequently travels to where there is snow.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08hybridok
So far I have the flat Ford flaps upfront. Do they help? a little. Does it affect FE? who knows, probably a little, good excuse to lose 10#'s to compensate
The reason I asked is this little blurb from Motor Trend regarding the 2009

"there's a new lower front chin spoiler below the redesigned front fascia and rear tire spoilers for better aerodynamics, and new low rolling resistance 16-inch Michelin tires across the board."

I found it pretty amazing that someone found enough of a difference to add a spoiler for the rear tires. The car companies don't add cost without a reason and it seems this was added to all Escapes/Mariners.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...ive/index.html