2009 escape hybrid ev motor seems to work but gas engine not starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2023, 10:06 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 escape hybrid ev motor seems to work but gas engine not starting

long time lurker I've had great success from this site over the last few years. a big thanks to S Keith as it always seems he has all the knowledge. This particular escape came in with a low ev battery and wouldn't do anything. We instantly went to work and disassembled the battery cover and put our charger we built with Keith's instructions on here to work. After getting the battery up to snuff we reconnected everything and attempted to start the vehicle. It appears that the electric motor turns on you can hear it running it will do this for a minute or so and you can even attempt to drive around the parking lot before the red triangle pops up and cuts the electric motor off. this can be done over and over as long as you cycle the key. The gas engine never starts though. the following codes in forscan after an attempt are as follows.

pcm
P0c2f:00-2b engine speed sensor performance

tcm
p0727-ff
i replaced the crank sensor to no avail any input on what to maybe try next or if im missing something i thank you in advance.

Old 10-09-2023, 06:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 escape hybrid ev motor seems to work but gas engine not starting

Disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail and confirm you are getting fuel at the rail. I had to replace the fuel pump in my '05... twice.

Old 10-11-2023, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 escape hybrid ev motor seems to work but gas engine not starting

Originally Posted by S Keith
Disconnect the fuel line from the injector rail and confirm you are getting fuel at the rail. I had to replace the fuel pump in my '05... twice.
verified fuel at rail and used pressure tester shows within spec.

Old 10-11-2023, 05:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

https://www.motorcraftservice.com

You can get full access to manuals for something like $25.