Forscan balancing and battery data

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 08:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Forscan balancing and battery data

For months I have been working on a PATS issue that I finally resolved yesterday. Its a 2009, so I expected I would have to follow @S Keith 's recharge procedure. To my surprise, after fixing the transceiver and reprogramming the keys, it started right up and the battery codes disappeared. Now I want to use Forscan to check the battery health and run the balancing procedure if necessary. What battery specs indicate that the balancing is needed? What battery specs should be monitored and what is good? I believe I read that DEL_MOD_V should be below 0.2 - is that right? Finally, should any precautions be taken to assure that the battery is cool during the balancing procedure?

Old 09-28-2023, 08:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Forscan balancing and battery data

Most batteries of that vintage will benefit from balancing. In some cases with a marginal battery that has a pending failure, the balancing can trigger the failure.

DEL_MOD_V is the only meaningful parameter for battery health.

The RMODE_BALANCE function will not run if the battery is too hot. If A/C is fully operational, the cooling system should keep the battery cool and comfy.

Old 10-01-2023, 05:28 AM
Enthusiast

@S Keith Thank you! DEL_MOD_V is now much improved.

Old 11-04-2023, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattbuilt1
For months I have been working on a PATS issue that I finally resolved yesterday. Its a 2009, so I expected I would have to follow @S Keith 's recharge procedure. To my surprise, after fixing the transceiver and reprogramming the keys, it started right up and the battery codes disappeared. Now I want to use Forscan to check the battery health and run the balancing procedure if necessary. What battery specs indicate that the balancing is needed? What battery specs should be monitored and what is good? I believe I read that DEL_MOD_V should be below 0.2 - is that right? Finally, should any precautions be taken to assure that the battery is cool during the balancing procedure?
Can you describe for me what your PATS issue was and how you fixed it? I tried programming some extra keys to my car and recently started getting HVTB issues. I just got forscan and am trying to sort out how to use it, too.

Greg

Old 11-04-2023, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by PTTech
Can you describe for me what your PATS issue was and how you fixed it? I tried programming some extra keys to my car and recently started getting HVTB issues. I just got forscan and am trying to sort out how to use it, too.

Greg
Go into the BCM and display all parameters. Post results here.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Go into the BCM and display all parameters. Post results here.
These scans were performed yesterday (My first time using Forscan):
(WARN) [13:25:03.364] DTCs in TCM: P1260-FF, P0562-FF
(WARN) [13:25:03.419] DTCs in PCM: P0128-FF, P1000-FF
(OK) [13:25:31.007] Successful DTC reset, DTCs will be read now...
(WARN) [13:25:31.065] DTCs in PCM: P1000-FF
(OK) [13:34:58.951] Successful DTC reset, DTCs will be read now...
(WARN) [13:34:59.027] DTCs in PCM: P1000-FF
(WARN) [13:52:59.786] DTCs in PCM: P1000-FF
(WARN) [13:53:00.045] DTCs in BCM: P0ABF-20, C1862-20
(WARN) [13:53:29.155] DTCs in PCM: P1000-FF
(WARN) [13:53:29.365] DTCs in BCM: P0ABF-20, C1862-20

Old 11-05-2023, 08:51 AM

P1260 Theft Detected, Vehicle Immobilized
  • Previous theft condition
  • Passive anti-theft system (PATS) system
  • Damaged TCM
P0128 - Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)
  • Insufficient warm up time
  • Low engine coolant level
  • Leaking or stuck open thermostat
  • CHT sensor concern
P0ABF Hybrid Battery Pack Current Sensor A Circuit (generally ignored unless coupled with P0AC0)
DTC C1862 — Contactor Circuit Failure, which may be triggered by a IFS switch open circuit.

If you haven't already done so, there are two inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switches tripped in the event of an impact. Low probability as ther eis a IFS code as well that is not present. I don't recall where they are.

Extremely important that the 12V is both healthy AND fully charged. Simply having a new 12V is not enough. The 12V must be either load tested or put on a digital tester to confirm health and fully charged.

First step is to clear codes and see which ones return. The P1000 suggests you have as that's a "not ready" code for emissions check.

Recommend you sign up at:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com

Can get access to all manuals for 2 days for $25. You can also get BISHKO manuals from ebay for about $50.

Old 11-05-2023, 11:16 AM
Enthusiast

P1260 Theft Detected, Vehicle Immobilized

First step is to clear codes and see which ones return. The P1000 suggests you have as that's a "not ready" code for emissions check.

Recommend you sign up at:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com

Can get access to all manuals for 2 days for $25. You can also get BISHKO manuals from ebay for about $50.
Thanks for your help. I'll look into those manuals.

I have cleared the codes and the P1000 code is the only one present now.

I ran the rebalance once and it didn't seem to help much. Real time SOC doesn't get above about 45% and Del Mod V is around .38 volts. Do you think my battery is toast? It was driving and working well until recently and now it seems like the HVTB is self-discharging overnight and I've had to do the jump start to get it to charge up again.

BTW, I've let the car sit for 15 minutes on and parked and the engine will cycle on and off. Reading the SOC right now it is almost 53% and the Del Mod V is bouncing between .31 and .25.

Greg

Old 11-05-2023, 11:56 AM

SoC tends to live in the 45-55% range very generally. It is most efficient in this range.

The RMODE_BALANCE function runs it up to about 85%. You can hear it transition from loaded charging to unloaded spinning (it drives the engine to discharge the battery back into the operating range). I like to try and catch it, terminate it early and check the SoC/DEL_MOD_V (DMV) in the BCM table.

A DMV value of .38 is a strong sign of weak or failing cells.

If you put it in "N" and discharge it to lower SoC with electrical loads, the DMV will likely increase. Additional confirmation of a failing battery.

As you cycle and use the battery, it is possible to narrow the DEL_MOD_V range. Increases following periods of sitting indicate excessive and uneven self-discharge (battery failure).

It is possible that the battery is simply imbalanced, and a grid charge to true 100% would help. It could also push a marginal battery completely over the edge into full cell failure.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

SoC tends to live in the 45-55% range very generally. It is most efficient in this range.

The RMODE_BALANCE function runs it up to about 85%. You can hear it transition from loaded charging to unloaded spinning (it drives the engine to discharge the battery back into the operating range). I like to try and catch it, terminate it early and check the SoC/DEL_MOD_V (DMV) in the BCM table.

A DMV value of .38 is a strong sign of weak or failing cells.

If you put it in "N" and discharge it to lower SoC with electrical loads, the DMV will likely increase. Additional confirmation of a failing battery.

As you cycle and use the battery, it is possible to narrow the DEL_MOD_V range. Increases following periods of sitting indicate excessive and uneven self-discharge (battery failure).

It is possible that the battery is simply imbalanced, and a grid charge to true 100% would help. It could also push a marginal battery completely over the edge into full cell failure.
Thanks again for your help. Starting to sound like the battery... Is there anything to trying to replace bad cells? I mean is it a good idea or worthwhile? I'm pretty crafty, but ignorant about this stuff. What's involved in doing a grid charge?

Quick Reply: Forscan balancing and battery data

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands