2007 mariner hybrid problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 10:31 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2007 mariner hybrid problem

Is it possible the onboard (assisting) batteries are at too low of an SoC (State of Charge) or that a switch or cable was not connected correctly that would allow the onboard battery pack to charge itself during the first 300 miles?

Old 10-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sanarael
Thanks all - but I guess I wasn't really clear. I KNOW I bought a hybrid. I can't drive away - if you reread my post, this occurs even in drive, with my foot on the brake. I have 600 miles on the car - I know how it idles, how the ICE should work and sound and I love it. This is NOT what the car is doing. It DIES. You can press the gas pedal and the car is DEAD - there is no driving away. I am presently waiting for a tow truck. If I've missed some important aspect of operating this vehicle, I'll be sure and admit that once I get back from service.

"..., this occurs even in drive, with my foot on the brake...."

Exactly as it might do at a long traffic light if the batteries are charged and with no ICE accessory drive demand.

SOP...standard operating procedure.

When I recently test drove an MMH I was surprised that the saleman told me to (actually) "start" the engine. In our prius you "start" the system and the ICE may or may not start depending on many circumstances.

Last edited by wwest; 10-24-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
"..., this occurs even in drive, with my foot on the brake...."

Exactly as it might do at a long traffic light if the batteries are charged and with no ICE accessory drive demand.

When I recently test drove an MMH I was surprised that the saleman told me to (actually) "start" the engine. In our prius you "start" the system and the ICE may or may not start depending on many circumstances.
To avoid confusion, the MMH and FEH behave slightly differently. If the key has been removed from the ignition or turned to the absolute "off" position, when the key is reinserted or turned to "on", the gasoline engine will always come on initially. It may go off very quickly, within less than a minute, if the catalytic converter is warmed up and the battery State of Charge is deemed good by the onboard computers, but it will always come on initially.

There have been discussions elsewhere here on GreenHybrid about this behavior, for those who are interested.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by wwest

I don't think it is suppose to be SOP when both the ICE and electric motor don't work, when you press on the "gas".

The OP's Hybrid was in "Eco Tires Up" mode.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:32 PM
occ
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flash
Is it possible the onboard (assisting) batteries are at too low of an SoC (State of Charge) or that a switch or cable was not connected correctly that would allow the onboard battery pack to charge itself during the first 300 miles?
There's a thread on the Camry Hybrid that has somewhat similar problems...turns out to be the inverter problem such that the HV battery werent being charged. Once replaced, everything was back better than before (I guess the inverter was "dying" slowly).

Is the FEH/MMH allowed to move if the HV battery were dead? If the charging system were bad, then the HV bat would die after 300-600miles? Or the HV bat is bad to begin with, and cannot hold charge? I thought I read somewhere that you cannot operate the FEH/MMH without the HV bat working properly.

Please keep us posted Sanarael...there's always someone who can benefit from problems & solutions like this.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM

My guess is it's the Vehicle System Controler (VSC) or PCM is defective or has a programing glitch. Sanarael didn't indicate a trouble code or warning, so I lean to a bad PCM as the problem. We will see.

GaryG

Old 10-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry re: mileage - it was brought in from another dealer, so it had 300 miles on it when I got it. I put 444 miles on it since the tow truck logged the mileage at 744 today.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by sanarael
Sorry re: mileage - it was brought in from another dealer, so it had 300 miles on it when I got it. I put 444 miles on it since the tow truck logged the mileage at 744 today.
Gotcha. Well, I certainly hope your service folks can determine what gremlin is posessing your new MMH and get it sorted out so you can get back to enjoying it!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:42 PM
Enthusiast

I corrected the mileage just now - so I've actually driven it 444 miles as the gauge was at 744 when towed, and was at 300 when I picked it up from the dealer (I ordered the car and another dealer in the state had it driven to my dealer).

The mariner also has the car emblem on the dash - it lights up green when the car is 'operable' (i.e., can be driven by either engine). When this occurs, the entire dash goes dark, and there is NO car icon.

The car is still at the shop - spending the night in service. It is the first mariner hybrid they have had to service. It doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence = but someone had to be the first I suppose.

I personally think that there is a malfunction in the control or exchange of information that tells the car that the gas engine is no longer in control so the ICE should kick in.

The car could be driven only if it was driven away immediately after starting the car. This am it was cold and before calling a tow truck I tried it again, thinking maybe this is a heat related thing since it first occurred after flying 60miles down the interstate.

The car started, and this am it took it almost 2 full minutes before it died. And there was no driving away. I started the car again, and it took about 30 secs and it died. I started it again, and it died after about 10 seconds.

When I say died - I mean exactly that. Just because it is a hybrid, doesn't mean it can't die on you. The entire dash goes dark, the car icon is out, and you can put on the max a/c, press the gas to floor if you want, and you're still not going anywhere.

So I do think it is tied to how warm something is - but I am not sure what.

Those of you that think this is standard operating procedure for a hybrid, please call the service shop - they'll be surprised to hear that!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:44 PM
Enthusiast

as a ps, last night I thought let me try the indash diagnostic check it comes with - which by the way is not excessively detailed. It told me everything that it checked was ok.

great.

Quick Reply: 2007 mariner hybrid problem

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands