08 Speaker Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 AM
rb1
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 08 Speaker Replacement

Originally Posted by tommyball
Well I got the AWD base model and had planned on installing a new head unit and speakers but after finally getting my car (I only test drove models with the Nav System) I want to wait to see if Crutchfield comes out with any 08 installation kits. The stereo is fairly close to the climate controls and I don't feel comfortable fabricating a new panel just yet...so... I'll just start with the speakers.

Any special considerations when disconnecting/reconnecting the batteries for a speaker installation aside from what is mentioned in the owners manual regarding relearning the brake position and idle/fuel trim?

Thanks,
Todd
Do you have the audiophile system?

Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmorton10
I used Infiniti separate component speakers with the tweeters mounted in the sail panels. I did not have to modify anything in the doors.

It made a huge difference in sound quality, but I added a killer 4 channel MTX AMP & Dynamat Extreme at the same time also (along with my Eclipse NAV/DVD head unit)

~John
Interesting.... How do you get the sails open and did you mount those tweeters inside the sail? Any modification there?

Sorry about you guys with the '08's and this beign in the same thread Perhaps I should start a new one but this is my last question I think.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by rb1
The left sail panel doesn't have space in the '08s, so the tweeters would pretty much HAVE to go in some other location. Maybe somewhere near the door latch?

Since you also changed your stereo from the factory to the Eclipse when you changed the speakers, a part of the superior performance might also be from better electronics in the new stereo, right?

I haven't really looked close at an 08 to see where the tweeters could be mounted, but there is always some way to do it. I used to own a retail stereo shop & we sold/installed high end car stereo & we always figured out whatever was needed for any installation.

Of course the superior Eclipse electronics helps, my stereo is a combination of good electronics in the head unit, a great AMP with plenty of power & speakers that match that setup. The Dynamat helps also (that will help ANY system)

~John

Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rb1
Do you have the audiophile system?

I just have the standard single CD system.

It's fairly spread out above the climate controls with one group of radio and cd controls, above that another group of direct track access number controls and above that the CD slot.

For now, until I'm ready to brave (or just brave enough to allow someone else to do it) a head unit replacement, I'd just like to upgrade whatever speakers are in there to some decent 2-way Polks.

-todd

Old 07-12-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by tommyball

For now, until I'm ready to brave (or just brave enough to allow someone else to do it) a head unit replacement, I'd just like to upgrade whatever speakers are in there to some decent 2-way Polks.
I would go ahead & do that, Polks are GREAT speakers (I used to sell a TON of them) & you will certainly hear some improvement over the crap that's in there now.

~John

Old 07-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I've done something similar to what you are thinking about. I ditched the door speakers and put Boston 6x8 component plate speakers in front and 2-way coax speakers in back. I also had a little Alpine amp put in under the passenger seat.
I found a local shop that's an authorized dealer install all of this for less than Crutchfield sells just the parts for, so you might want to shop around. The sound is amazingly better even with just the stock radio. Best thing about it also is that nobody will know it's there (if you're worried about break-ins) until you crank up the volume.
I would recommend doing the speakers first and then replacing the head unit later if you want more.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by D-mac
I found a local shop that's an authorized dealer install all of this for less than Crutchfield sells just the parts for,
Yea, that's not too hard to do.

Crutchfield is a great resource to use to find out what's available & to see what fits your vehicle, then you find the same parts somewhere else at a big $ savings.

I paid $500 less for my Eclipse NAV unit than Crutchfield sells it for.....

~John

Old 07-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Enthusiast

I replaced my front speakers with a pair of Infinity Kappa 682cf. Bought them for $99us, including shipping from Amazon.com marketplace. I had them installed with a $200 Sony head unit and the system sounds amazing. Though I am also now getting a small ($89 with shipping) amp cause the Kappas want a lot more power than the head unit can deliver.

It really does amaze me though, that I can replace the crappy factory system for less than $400 with a system that sounds first class. When you are paying over $30,000 for this car why the heck can't Ford put in an equivalent system? You would think that if they were buying these systems in the thousands they would paying pretty much wholesale, ie. it would cost them probably not much over $200. Think about it. $200 more on the price tag wouldn't mean a **** thing. So why so many of the car manufacturers insist on installing these crap factory systems that folks end up just chucking out? Especially with cars like hybrids that are supposed to be about being environmentally friendly. Sorry about the rant but ****!

Old 07-12-2007, 11:13 PM
Enthusiast

BTW, the censored word was d-a-m-n...uhm, who is censoring this stuff? Are preschoolers on this forum?

Old 07-13-2007, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mark_bc
Though I am also now getting a small ($89 with shipping) amp cause the Kappas want a lot more power than the head unit can deliver.
Good idea, that will dramatically improve the sound. I have tried my Infiniti's both with & without an external AMP & the difference is huge.

~John

Quick Reply: 08 Speaker Replacement

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands