What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
You're not a 'dunce' since I hadn't considered the ambiguity until now. I should have posted a URL to the document, my bad.

Working with the moderators, I asked that the FAQ posting be made a 'sticky' post that doesn't age down the list. This allows updates and edits over time as new information becomes available. Typically, I post a proposed change as a new thread for discussion and incorporate it into the FAQ.

I also wanted to make sure that in the future, others could, as needed, pick it up and sustain it. Consider it a light-weight, Wiki style document with one 'first editor' today.

The posted FAQ reading and technical level is aimed at new Prius owners. However, similar information is available from Wiki and several other excellent Prius discussion groups. But my ear (and eyes) are open and I am quite willing to discuss changes.

Bob Wilson
Thank you Bob for your generous self-less service to the world of Prius hypermiling! This forum would not be the same without you!

Regards!

Old 03-12-2007, 01:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Boulder_Bum
Thanks guys! That's good stuff.

I was wondering what "ICE", etc. was!
I wonder whether there is a thread which explains all the abbreviations that the people in this forum (and in other similar hypermiling forums) use ..

Regardless, one quick answer to your questions is ICE = Internal Combustion Engine ...

Similarly, there are a few that I can throw your way ..

P&G = Pulse and Glide
FE = Fuel efficiency
MFD = Multi-functional display
MPG = Miles per gallon (This probably everyone know, right )
IMPG = instantaneous MPG
EV = Electric v...(someone help? .. basically this means the mode of the vehicle when it is running purely on the battery power)

Any more, anyone?

Cheers!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

EV Mode - a feature only available in Europe, Japan, and modified US Priuses - allows driver to force the ICE to turn off. Not the only way to turn ICE off while driving however. Doesn't work above 34mph.
EV Mod - modification that enables EV Mode on US Priuses - there are several types.
MG1 - inner (core or sun) electric motor "Motor/Generator 1"
MG2 - outer (ring) electric motor
PSD - Power Split Device, the gear set that contains MG1, ICE and MG2
HSD - Hybrid Synergy Drive, buzz word for Prius engine
HCH - Honda Civic Hybrid
TCH - Toyota Camry Hybrid

Old 03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
. . .
HSD - Hybrid Synergy Drive, buzz word for Prius engine
. . .
To clarify, there was also:
TSD - Toyota Synergy Drive, the NHW11/NHW10 Prius drivetrain

The difference is the HSD has a voltage doubler in the inverter and uses a higher voltage to the MGs. This gives it more power and allows using a lower battery bus voltage.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-12-2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
To clarify, there was also:
TSD - Toyota Synergy Drive, the NHW11/NHW10 Prius drivetrain
I've never heard of TSD.
Instead, THS - Toyota Hybrid System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

Ken@Japan

Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ken1784
I've never heard of TSD.
Instead, THS - Toyota Hybrid System
Thank you, I stand corrected.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-24-2007, 03:00 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimboK
Welcome to GreenHybrid and the world of the Prius! Taking SoopahMan's excellent advice a step further, read Bob Wilson's FAQ article here. Also consider these forums:

www.PriusChat.com
www.PriusOnline.com
www.CleanMPG.com

The first two obviously are Prius-specific, whereas CleanMPG's emphasis is maximum fuel economy, regardless of vehicle. PriusChat is more active than PriusOnline.

One technique I recommend you learn about: pulse and glide. Here's a great article on CleanMPG that describes it and its high-speed companion some call "warp stealth."

If you're interested in learning and applying "hypermiling" techniques, study the masters in the forums, practice what they have to teach, and be patient. My current tank is well over 60 MPG, but it's taken me months to get there.

Good luck!
I read the method in the article. It seems tedious at first, but easily learned. However, it also seems like the repetitive thing that computers are much better at. Has anyone tried breaking into the computer and reprogramming the cpu to do this drudgery? Or suggested to Toyota to redo it's cruise control to do this?

Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 PM

Pulsing and Gliding effectively involves planning ahead; for example, accelerating to only 32mph or 37mph before Gliding because you can tell a stop is coming. For the Prius CPU to take on such a task it would have to have a lot more input available to it than it does now - discussions of where to get such input exist here and on PriusChat, but the extra info needed is not trivial.

Although some techniques with the Prius can be a little difficult, the fact that all of these tricks can be done with basically a pedal and 2 switches (Cruise Control and the Shifter) is actually quite impressive and simple. For a more complex but automated approach, search here and PriusChat.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:00 AM
Enthusiast

Pulsing and Gliding effectively involves planning ahead; for example, accelerating to only 32mph or 37mph before Gliding because you can tell a stop is coming. For the Prius CPU to take on such a task it would have to have a lot more input available to it than it does now - discussions of where to get such input exist here and on PriusChat, but the extra info needed is not trivial.

Although some techniques with the Prius can be a little difficult, the fact that all of these tricks can be done with basically a pedal and 2 switches (Cruise Control and the Shifter) is actually quite impressive and simple. For a more complex but automated approach, search here and PriusChat.
I agree that a person has a lot more info. at hand to make the BEST use of the P&G. A cpu would not get near as good a result as a person without much more info. But, the basic P&G is moderate accelleration in a ~5-10 mph range to below 41mph, leave off gas, very light accelleration to trick computer into forgetting about regen and coast down 5-10 mph. can be done by a computer. But, we can assume that there will be stretches of low speed roads without sharp turns and stops. If someone puts on cruise control, the road is fairly uniform and low traffic. Front and back proximity sensors are current technology, just not installed in many cars, also, so some info. can easily be made available. My point is that the basic P&G can be made available to the common driver some of which may not be interested in focused hypermiler concentration. It will help improve the average mileage of the whole Prius fleet.

And, as in all new tech sometimes we learn stuff by doing the small steps we can do now designing with the future in mind and then add the future stuff when it is ready. This helps work out bugs is the process and software gradually. It also allows the user get used to the concept more gradually and gives the manufacturer opportunity to show they are continually improving. It also reduces the risk of doing all of that work and then having a problem that would scare users away. That would be a real crime. I would do the P&G manually to see what I could do in mpg, but not all the time because sometimes I am working out other problems as well. Some of my most creative thinking comes when I am driving.

P&G has been around in some form for a long time. I used to do it in my old manual shift car all the time in the countryside. Put it in neutral or clutch in down hills and coast up the next, as speed slowed accellerate just enough to top the next hill and do the same. Try to see how far I could coast before a stop signs. Turned out not to help much in down hill situations, as I found out later, because in a pure ICE car the engine runs faster and uses more gas at an idle than when engine is enguaged (slowed and no load). Occasionally today I still try to do it to see how far I can get because some places I can get 4 miles free wheeling down a long big hill (i.e. no cops on the steep parts).

Old 08-13-2007, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

The most important 2 things to know:
1) Driving in electric-only mode is usually bad for mileage (read the forums for the select cases where it's good).
2) When the car engine first starts and refuses to turn off, you're basically driving in electric-only mode (the gas is being burned to heat the engine, not generate [much] power).

With that in mind you can pretty much just drive it like a normal car and get good mileage. If you want to get advanced and go for the max, start cruising these forums.
I drive in electric only mode as much as possible see my sig for my current overall average and my current tank average is 59.9 at 280 miles.

Quick Reply: What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands