What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Enthusiast
Default What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

Hey peeps!

I recently totalled a Subaru in a wreck during a snowstorm and my wife and I decided to use the insurance money to pay for a down payment on my dream car: a Toyota Prius.

So far, I'm very impressed with the car! I don't know about the fuel efficiency yet, but I dig the other things no one seems to rave about: "Smart Key" technology, innovative interface for starting car and getting into gear, two DC outlets plus aux for my iPod, instrumentation location at bottom of windshield, shelf space in glove compartment(s), BlueTooth, GPS, and, of course, four cupholders on the center console and two spaces for a cup in the side compartments.

Everything about the car, even the little things, seem exceptionally well engineered.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you seasoned Prius veterans have any advice for a new owner like me.

What's the most valuable thing I can do for fuel efficiency? Anyone have any recommendation for mods or learning to drive the car?

I've read up on some tricks Prius drivers are using, and have a K&N air filter in the mail in my first attempt to boost mileage, but I had no idea until I started Googling about Priuses just how much of a community there is around the cars and I am wanting to learn as much as possible about making the most of my Prius experience!

Old 03-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

The most important 2 things to know:
1) Driving in electric-only mode is usually bad for mileage (read the forums for the select cases where it's good).
2) When the car engine first starts and refuses to turn off, you're basically driving in electric-only mode (the gas is being burned to heat the engine, not generate [much] power).

With that in mind you can pretty much just drive it like a normal car and get good mileage. If you want to get advanced and go for the max, start cruising these forums.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:32 AM

I have used the K&N angine air filter in 2001 Prius for a long time, and would not look to it for fuel efficiency improvements. Over time you will pay less for air filters (and throw away less) but that's about it.

Also these filters are controversial for their potential to admit dirt to the engine, which would certainly accelerate abrasive wear. Best advice there is to maintain it correctly, and to consider getting used engine oil analyses. High silicon levels there suggest dirt ingestion.

In the classic Prius, one had to be careful not to 'overoil' the filter, as it could drip on the air flow sensor. Changed air filter box design in the new model Prius has removed that issue.

DAS

Old 03-11-2007, 01:37 PM
Engineering first

Sorry about the accident, no injuries?? I too had lost our Camry in an accident and replaced it with a used Prius.

Welcome to the CLUB!

Originally Posted by Boulder_Bum
I recently totalled a Subaru in a wreck during a snowstorm and my wife and I decided to use the insurance money to pay for a down payment on my dream car: a Toyota Prius.

So far, I'm very impressed with the car! I don't know about the fuel efficiency yet, but I dig the other things no one seems to rave about: "Smart Key" technology, innovative interface for starting car and getting into gear, two DC outlets plus aux for my iPod, instrumentation location at bottom of windshield, shelf space in glove compartment(s), BlueTooth, GPS, and, of course, four cupholders on the center console and two spaces for a cup in the side compartments.

Everything about the car, even the little things, seem exceptionally well engineered.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you seasoned Prius veterans have any advice for a new owner like me.

What's the most valuable thing I can do for fuel efficiency? Anyone have any recommendation for mods or learning to drive the car?

I've read up on some tricks Prius drivers are using, and have a K&N air filter in the mail in my first attempt to boost mileage, but I had no idea until I started Googling about Priuses just how much of a community there is around the cars and I am wanting to learn as much as possible about making the most of my Prius experience!
We have Prius FAQ that hopefully will offer a few tricks of the trade. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions. You're in for a treat!

BTW, one of the best things is to start recording your mileage. Over time, you'll start to see the patterns and figure out what works and doesn't work.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 03-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

Welcome to GreenHybrid and the world of the Prius! Taking SoopahMan's excellent advice a step further, read Bob Wilson's FAQ article here. Also consider these forums:

www.PriusChat.com
www.PriusOnline.com
www.CleanMPG.com

The first two obviously are Prius-specific, whereas CleanMPG's emphasis is maximum fuel economy, regardless of vehicle. PriusChat is more active than PriusOnline.

One technique I recommend you learn about: pulse and glide. Here's a great article on CleanMPG that describes it and its high-speed companion some call "warp stealth."

If you're interested in learning and applying "hypermiling" techniques, study the masters in the forums, practice what they have to teach, and be patient. My current tank is well over 60 MPG, but it's taken me months to get there.

Good luck!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to dive in and learn from everyone!

Bummer about the K&N not improving mileage. I was thinking it would from the marketing/someone else's comments (though further research corroborates what you're saying).

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Sorry about the accident, no injuries?? I too had lost our Camry in an accident and replaced it with a used Prius.
Yeah, we weren't even going fast enough for the airbags to deploy, but, ironically, I was on the way to a job interview since I lost mine a few days earlier.

It was an eventful couple of weeks!

The good new is that I got the job and a new Prius.

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
We have Prius FAQ that hopefully will offer a few tricks of the trade. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions. You're in for a treat!
Sorry to be a dunce, but how do I get to the FAQ? I tried clicking "FAQ" on the menu bar and it takes me to a FAQ search page where the term "Prius" doesn't seem to yield any results.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 PM

Well not everything is well engineered. The center console for one is very flimsy. Many other vehicles have a much more solid and stable console.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 PM

Sorry to be a dunce, but how do I get to the FAQ? I tried clicking "FAQ" on the menu bar and it takes me to a FAQ search page where the term "Prius" doesn't seem to yield any results.
It's the first thread in the Prius section. It's a Sticky. From this page scroll up and it will say Hybrid Cars > Toyota Prius. Click Toyota Prius. FAQ's right there.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

. . .
You're not a 'dunce' since I hadn't considered the ambiguity until now. I should have posted a URL to the document, my bad.

Working with the moderators, I asked that the FAQ posting be made a 'sticky' post that doesn't age down the list. This allows updates and edits over time as new information becomes available. Typically, I post a proposed change as a new thread for discussion and incorporate it into the FAQ.

I also wanted to make sure that in the future, others could, as needed, pick it up and sustain it. Consider it a light-weight, Wiki style document with one 'first editor' today.

The posted FAQ reading and technical level is aimed at new Prius owners. However, similar information is available from Wiki and several other excellent Prius discussion groups. But my ear (and eyes) are open and I am quite willing to discuss changes.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys! That's good stuff.

I was wondering what "ICE", etc. was!

Quick Reply: What Should Every New Prius Owner Know?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands