titles and mileage questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Enthusiast
Default titles and mileage questions

Ok, so i am in the market for a car and I want to buy a Prius 04 or 05 model, but I don't have a whole lot of money to do so. My question is, I have found a couple that at least come close to the price range I am looking for but I am finding they all have salvage titles, what do you all recommend?
ALso I could take a step back a few years and get an 01-03 model, but most of them have higher mileage, usually between 90-120k miles. I really don't like the first gen body style, what do you think?
Thanks for your help
Matt

Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: titles and mileage questions

Hi Matt,

A used car makes sense if you are prepared for self-maintenance and have a back-up vehicle. Older cars have a higher risk of a problem and dealer maintenance is good but it isn't free.

My rule of thumb is the perfect used car is at the end or right after the 3/36000 warranty is over. In the case of our hybrid electric cars, the hybrid stuff is good through 8/100000 miles. But all of this gets thrown out the window with a 'salvage' title.

A salvage title means it had major repairs and though many times this is done well, it means any manufacturer warranty is not going to be honored. Sorry, but that is how the world works.

Now the NHW11, 01-03 Prius, was the first one sold in the USA and had a number of significant improvements over the NHW10, 97-00, that was sold only in Japan. The NHW20, 04-09 Prius, incorporated a number of significant improvements including an improved battery, more space, and better high speed performance.

Now there is one company, Autobeyours.com, that handles rebuilt Prius. I would trust any of their salvage vehicles. Others, I don't know but only because I don't know them. Autobeyours.com specialized in this business early and have learned a lot of valuable lessons.

What part of the country are you in? There is a growing number of expert Prius shops, independent of Toyota and knowing, we can help you find them.

What level of self-maintenance do you feel comfortable with? For example, metric tool kit? Driveway or garage or car port for work area? The more capabilities you have, the lower the risk of owning an older car. But it really helps if you have a backup, even a crappy one, in case the hybrid needs longer repair. Enterprise rental is affordable but not for long.

Bob Wilson