CD Title and Song Titles on Nav Screen

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default CD Title and Song Titles on Nav Screen

I don't see the CD Title (Singer etc.) and Song Titles in my Navigation monitor. (While playing CD on the Audio Screen). Is it suppose to show them while playing? If yes, does anyone know what should be done to make it visible?
Thanks,

Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CD Title and Song Titles on Nav Screen

Depends on what you're looking for, Bill.

I don't have NAV, but to my knowledge neither nav nor non-nav version have the ability to display album/artist/title information unless the cd is in .mp3 format.

A store-bought CD is typically in either CDDA or CDDB format and would not include the ID3 tag that is required by our stereos to list a/a/t information while the cd is playing.

If you ARE using an .mp3 cd then I don't know the exact procedure to allow the NAV stereo to display the information, but with non-nav stereo, there is a 'text' button which you can press to cycle through folder/album/artist/file/ and song information, and I'm sure the nav version has a screen or hard button that will do the same.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

The CD you're playing has to contain "CD Text" for the information to appear on the audio screen. If it's on the disc, I believe the system will automatically display it. Unfortunately, it seems that virtually no commercial CDs actually contain the text information. If you're burning your own CDs you have to have burning software that supports text and make sure it's enabled. (If you're burning MP3 CDs you will get folder and file information.)

Old 08-31-2006, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

I thought the same thing, but found that the newer CD's do have the song info on them. I picked up one that happened to say Digital Audio, and it did show up on the song titles list! Very cool, but not all of my CD's have this...

I think I've found a reason to record my songs in Itunes in AAC format... maybe those will work in the Nav system...

Anyone else know this for sure?

m

Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you burn a CD using iTunes you will not get CD Text. It's not supported by iTunes.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Enthusiast

It IS when played on an IPOD.....

Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

The iPod is displaying information from the tags in the MP3/AAC files. If you burn an MP3 CD the Camry will diplay the information too. If you use iTunes to burn an audio CD it will not transfer any CD Text information. iTunes does not support CD Text.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:07 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Doc says CD, MP3 and WMA only.
Title and Artist display on all the MP3 and WMA disks I've played in my TCH.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't roll on Shabbos

For the MP3 tracks I'm burning to disc, oftentimes the original uploader didn't include pertinent file information. Going into the individual file's properties, I'm able to change all fields that (I'd assume) the firmware would recognize: album title, track title, artist and genre. The weird thing is, (no matter what label I give it) the "genre" field always outputs as "Extra Genres". The only exception to this is if the original file's uploader included the genre tag in the file already.

In the example below, I changed the genre on this file to "Soft Rock".

Postscript....hey, just because I'm 36, doesn't mean I'm completely out of touch with Gen Y/Z. This MP3 disc also contained albums from The Killers and Broken Social Scene... Yes, an odd mix, I know....

Last edited by lefty1970; 09-01-2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lefty1970
For the MP3 tracks I'm burning to disc, oftentimes the original uploader didn't include pertinent file information. Going into the individual file's properties, I'm able to change all fields that (I'd assume) the firmware would recognize: album title, track title, artist and genre. The weird thing is, (no matter what label I give it) the "genre" field always outputs as "Extra Genres". The only exception to this is if the original file's uploader included the genre tag in the file already.

In the example below, I changed the genre on this file to "Soft Rock".

Postscript....hey, just because I'm 36, doesn't mean I'm completely out of touch with Gen Y/Z. This MP3 disc also contained albums from The Killers and Broken Social Scene... Yes, an odd mix, I know....
I've seen the same thing. The JBL doesn't seem to be handling the Genre tag correctly.

Hey Ken, The Killers new CD, "Sam's Town" drops on October 3!

Quick Reply: CD Title and Song Titles on Nav Screen

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands