Test drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Test drive

I did a test drive on a Prius yesterday. This was the second time that I have test drove the Prius and I am so close to buying one! There are so many things that I like about the car. I love having the engine stop at red lights, genius! I love the way the car handles. Regenerative braking makes so much sense! If I can get past the $1000 that I'm upside down in my current car, I think I will get a Prius.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Test drive

get it .. u will not regret it!

Old 02-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Newbie Greenie

Originally Posted by reddog15
If I can get past the $1000 that I'm upside down in my current car, I think I will get a Prius.
Take your annual miles and divide by your current mileage. Take the same annual miles and divide by an average Prius mileage of your choosing (e.g. 45, 47, 50, etc.) based on your driving habits. Subtract these two numbers and it will provide you with the number of gallons per year the Prius will save you.

Take this number multiplied by the average price per gallon in your area. Divide the $1,000 by this number and it will give you you payback timeframe.

Example:

14,000 miles annually

Current car mpg 31
Prius mpg 48 (from the database)

Current car gallons = 452
Prius gallons = 292

Differential = 160 gallons per year

Avg price per gallon: $2.37

Prius gas savings per year = $379

$1000 / $379 = 2.6 years for payback

Now this model doesn't factor in all of the other costs associated with your old car (maintenance costs, continued depreciation, etc.) or with the Prius (faster tire replacement, time spent talking with people at gas stations about your incredible car, etc.)

Also, remember your current vehicle will continue to depreciate possible causing you to be even further under water a year or two from now.

FWIW - good luck in your decision making process.

UTpiper

Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Piper, I think you have sealed the deal! I will save approx $605 dollars per year which makes the payoff 1.6 years! It's amazing what you see when it is quantified...

Old 02-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast

Not to mention the 234 Gallons of fuel that I will save!

Old 03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast

The dealer had 2.9 percent financing so I received my Prius today. I am thoroughly happy so far. I just have to take a month to learn all the gadgets!

Old 03-05-2007, 11:18 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Welcome aboard reddog15!

Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Engineering first

Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by reddog15
The dealer had 2.9 percent financing so I received my Prius today. I am thoroughly happy so far. I just have to take a month to learn all the gadgets!
You are in for a treat. BTW, don't worry about the first tank . . . call it 'dealer error.' Once you get a fresh tank, please join the mileage database. You'll find it is also a power learning tool.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Enthusiast

With 80 miles so far and tremendous fun, I am learning the ins and outs of the hybrid system. I have tried pulse and glide a little bit and am conscious of timing the stop lights. I enjoy the handling and the wondrous gadgetry of this vehicle. Thanks for the welcome all! I will post on the mileage database after the first tank. So far I am showing 45.6 on the consumption screen.

Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, it's silly but learn to reset the Odometer and the Energy screen so you can track MPG per tank easily. They're simple things but if they become second nature when filling up you'll get a more accurate understanding of how your MPG is doing - you'll likely improve your MPG continually over the next few months and accurate MPG numbers per tank make your improvement less ambiguous.