Temp vs. MPG

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Temp vs. MPG

Originally Posted by gvillebass
Have you noticed any mileage gains since installing the EBH?
It seems to trim out about 2 minutes of the morning warm-up. It is still important to keep the power demands low until the ICE is throughly warmed up.

Now that cooler weather has returned, I can resume some tests started last year. Things I'm interested in checking:
  • compare and contrast thermistor hack and block heater
  • investigate engine compartment insulation
  • measure wheel bearing temperature and drag
Today it was in the upper 40s and I drove up to to WalMart and back. The cold weather really hurt the mileage on the way up. Even after the coolant reached 70F, mileage stayed much lower than it ordinarily would be, which suggests something else is hurting mileage. But on the way back, the total came in at 52 MPG, something had warmed up.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Citrix Geek

Do you keep records of weather conditions (rain, humidity, pressure...) and use of air conditioner or windows up or down? Or are you just interested in the actual outside temperature when recording the data?

I am working on an excel spreadsheet to keep detailed records and was wondering what others keep track of. I think it would be nice to have as many driving conditions included and perhaps build pivot tables from that data to demonstrate how various elements can affect mileage.

Old 11-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Engineering first

Do you keep records of weather conditions (rain, humidity, pressure...) and use of air conditioner or windows up or down? Or are you just interested in the actual outside temperature when recording the data?
Only when doing a specific study. So far, none of these have really been high on my list with the exception of temperatures of 90+. If dry, I use windows. If humid, I have to use AC and I'll make note in the database.

I am working on an excel spreadsheet to keep detailed records and was wondering what others keep track of. I think it would be nice to have as many driving conditions included and perhaps build pivot tables from that data to demonstrate how various elements can affect mileage.
Sounds like a good plan.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-25-2007 at 04:03 PM.