Techie upgrade for your MFD

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default CAN-View Software Update

There have been some good improvements with the software, we installed the latest beta version that contains the most features, but hasn't been fully polished.

The left side of the horizontal bar graph shows throttle and the right side shows battery voltage with 180v at the center (180v drop usually cancels EV mode) and in the center is the battery's actual state of charge (SOC).

The trip computer is excellent, just what it needed as far as what it's capable of:

And lots of new data, both calculated and from reading the ODB-II signals:

And some new preferences for adding PHEV capability:

And just so you know, the CAN-View is not the most distracting thing in the car...

Old 05-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Techie upgrade for your MFD

HV battery internal resistance and max cell temperature. MG1 windings temperature. ICE rpm and %friction braking. Looks like Nirvana from here!

DAS

PS: It seems that (somewhere on the ICE) there is a threaded plug where a proper oil pressure sensor could be installed. Little else seems to be lacking...

PS: Something that Bob Wilson posted recently made me think that new Prius MG1 efficiency had been much improved over the classic model. Maybe youse new Prius guys don't even have to look at that temperature. It shows some interesting behavior under heavy load in the classic Prius, though.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:31 PM

I've noticed MG1 windings and MG1's inverter temp get a lot hotter than MG2, but I guess that makes sense as it does a lot more work on average.

All the new temperature readings are actually on the ODB-II bus, and not the CAN bus, so they may be easier to read if you have the right kind of scan-tool.

Last edited by Schwa; 05-25-2006 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:59 AM

Just FYI...
One of Japanese enthusiasts developed a very nice, clear and precise display on MFD.
http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=20057&st=2
http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=20117&hl=

Ken@Japan

Old 05-27-2006, 05:39 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by ken1784
Just FYI...
One of Japanese enthusiasts developed a very nice, clear and precise display on MFD.
http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=20057&st=2
http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=20117&hl=

Thanks you for this posting. Very nice but one question.

His display shows coolant at 54 (C) but the engine at 41 (C). I am surprised that the engine would be cooler than the coolant. Is this possibly coolant temperature in the storage bottle and this is a snapshot of a cold engine?

Bob Wilson

Old 05-27-2006, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Thanks you for this posting. Very nice but one question.

His display shows coolant at 54 (C) but the engine at 41 (C). I am surprised that the engine would be cooler than the coolant. Is this possibly coolant temperature in the storage bottle and this is a snapshot of a cold engine?

Bob Wilson
Hi Bob,

It is a good question.

It is just a pre-alpha version and there are a lot of bugs, and one of them is the engine temp is displayed wrong.

Ken@Japan

Old 05-27-2006, 01:48 PM

That looks awesome! I'm really curious to know what kind of hardware it's using... Possibly some form of embedded linux as software? Seems like it's got a bit more than the 16k of RAM that the CAN-View has.

Old 05-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Schwa
That looks awesome! I'm really curious to know what kind of hardware it's using... Possibly some form of embedded linux as software? Seems like it's got a bit more than the 16k of RAM that the CAN-View has.
It is based on Renesas(Hitachi) H8 microprocessor and the program is written in assembler. It has an original RGB video adaptor using FPGA with 1 Mbit video RAM.
The display resolution is only 400x240 pixels which means we only need 3k bytes of RAM for true color display.

Ken@Japan