MFD; WHY DOES IT CHANGE COLORS/?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 07:55 PM
Enthusiast
Default MFD; WHY DOES IT CHANGE COLORS/?

I don't understand why the arrows change from green to yellow, or blue to green. I've checked in the manual, but I haven't found any explanation. Also, I'm curious if anyone knows the facts on how long the battery lasts, and how much it cost to replace? I've heard five years for lasting, and fourK to replace. This sure puts back the cost of running the car: may save gas, but not my $$!!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:15 PM
no more oil
Default Re: MFD; WHY DOES IT CHANGE COLORS/?

hi
i bought a toyota highlander 4x4 and they gave me an 8 year warranty for the battery from toyota. But I also heard it does cost 4k to replace. I dont suspect i will have the car after 5 years. I want a PLUG IN !!!!!!

Old 05-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scandi1
I don't understand why the arrows change from green to yellow, or blue to green. I've checked in the manual, but I haven't found any explanation. Also, I'm curious if anyone knows the facts on how long the battery lasts, and how much it cost to replace? I've heard five years for lasting, and fourK to replace. This sure puts back the cost of running the car: may save gas, but not my $$!!
OMG!!1eleventy!! Have you heard your battery has an eight year warranty?!!1!

Old 05-18-2006, 10:20 PM
Active Enthusiast

scandi1,

What are you talking about? What arrows are you talking about? I didn't quite get it. The battery should last more than 8 years.You won't need to change any time soon. Don't worry about it.My old 02' Prius was still working when I traded in for 06' Prius. I heard it will cost you $2000 or more to replace it. Does your has extended warranty? I bought extended warranty for both my Old Prius and new one. You need it.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think he's talking about the arrows on the energy screen. I traded mine in last week so I'm trying to remember off memory but the more energy you use the more red the arrow will become. I believe it goes green-yellow-red or something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:09 AM
Engineering first

. . . Also, I'm curious if anyone knows the facts on how long the battery lasts, and how much it cost to replace? I've heard five years for lasting, and fourK to replace. This sure puts back the cost of running the car: may save gas, but not my $$!!
The Dept. of Energy ran a fleet study with 2001 model Prius, Honda Civic and Insights. They ended the Prius experiment at 160,000 miles and the batteries were still good and the cars were still getting nearly the same MPG as when new.

The main traction battery has a dedicated control computer that keeps it between 40-80% of charge with a target of 60%. Also, the battery has venting and control systems designed to warm it up in winter and keep it cool in summer. These batteries are not failing and the ones available from Ebay are coming from crashed Prius.

The 01-03 battery is a 273 VDC unit but the 04+ model uses a 203 VDC battery. The battery has become smaller and more affordable. I've seen "new" replacement cost of $2.5k but Ebay prices of as low as $500 from salvage cars. I would have no problem with getting a salvage battery and after reconditioning charging, using it.

One of the chief claims of hybrid skeptics is "batteries cost $4,000 to replace." When you see that number, smile and depending upon who says it, smile and say, "Really." You will invariabily find the person making that claim is full of hybrid myths. Amusing, you need to decide whether or not you care about them enough to correct their misinformation. Ego doesn't matter at the gas pump!

Now if you really want to deal with a skeptic, the best answer is to take them to lunch and let them drive the car back. Better still, let them try it out in a parking lot. Then as they are 'learning' about the car, in a casual, off-hand way provide the facts and data and cite the sources. This won't change their minds but it tends to shut them up if you work with them.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-19-2006, 12:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
The Dept. of Energy ran a fleet study with 2001 model Prius, Honda Civic and Insights. They ended the Prius experiment at 160,000 miles and the batteries were still good and the cars were still getting nearly the same MPG as when new.

The main traction battery has a dedicated control computer that keeps it between 40-80% of charge with a target of 60%. Also, the battery has venting and control systems designed to warm it up in winter and keep it cool in summer. These batteries are not failing and the ones available from Ebay are coming from crashed Prius.

The 01-03 battery is a 273 VDC unit but the 04+ model uses a 203 VDC battery. The battery has become smaller and more affordable. I've seen "new" replacement cost of $2.5k but Ebay prices of as low as $500 from salvage cars. I would have no problem with getting a salvage battery and after reconditioning charging, using it.

One of the chief claims of hybrid skeptics is "batteries cost $4,000 to replace." When you see that number, smile and depending upon who says it, smile and say, "Really." You will invariabily find the person making that claim is full of hybrid myths. Amusing, you need to decide whether or not you care about them enough to correct their misinformation. Ego doesn't matter at the gas pump!

Now if you really want to deal with a skeptic, the best answer is to take them to lunch and let them drive the car back. Better still, let them try it out in a parking lot. Then as they are 'learning' about the car, in a casual, off-hand way provide the facts and data and cite the sources. This won't change their minds but it tends to shut them up if you work with them.

Bob Wilson
Bob,

Thanks for your reply. It is nice to know. I traded in my 02 to 06' last week because my 02' Prius had a lot problems. It stalled two times when I started. It gave me Engine Checks Warning Light. They finally found out what the problem was before I traded in my car. It was ECU and fuel relay. ECU was covered under Toyota Extra Care and Fuel Relay wasn't. I was supposed to pay $150 to change fuel relay. When I traded in my car, they told me they will take care the bill. Did Toyota sent to bulletin for resealing Hybrid Battery?

Old 05-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for Jason's reply, She meant the flow if the energy between the generator and battery while she was driving. Don't worry about it. The car computer will take care of it. Just drive. The car's battey will charge right back up.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:59 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: MFD; WHY DOES IT CHANGE COLORS/?

Originally Posted by TMCHAN
Thanks for your reply. It is nice to know. I traded in my 02 to 06' last week because my 02' Prius had a lot problems. It stalled two times when I started. It gave me Engine Checks Warning Light. They finally found out what the problem was before I traded in my car. It was ECU and fuel relay. ECU was covered under Toyota Extra Care and Fuel Relay wasn't. I was supposed to pay $150 to change fuel relay. When I traded in my car, they told me they will take care the bill. Did Toyota sent to bulletin for resealing Hybrid Battery?
I have a lot of questions about your 02. How many miles? What region of the country? There are several ECUs, which one? Could you e-mail me the dealer who has the '02?

As for the battery resealing, I bought an 03, well after the resealing advisory. Also, I follow the "Prius Technical Stuff" forum and they have all of the Toyota advisories.

Was the original 02 in the GreenHybrid database?

What is your typical, weekly driving pattern?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 05-19-2006, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, when the arrows show the direction of the energy from the battery to the wheels, is usually green, and when it flows into the battery it is red. But then sometimes it shows yellow, and the battery lines showing how fully charged it is, it shows blue, and then sometimes it shows lime green. It doesn't seems to explain this anywhere in the manual, so I wasn't sure what the explanation was. Anyone know?

Quick Reply: MFD; WHY DOES IT CHANGE COLORS/?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands