Questions from a First Responder

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Questions from a First Responder

My son is a Fireman/Paramedic and does first responder work for both of the organizations he works for. He posed a question that I have been unable to find an answer for, so I thought I would see what the pundits here had to say about the question or a source for the answer.

It is my understanding that the High Voltage wire coming from the Main Battery Pack to the Electric motor is orange.

What happens if that cable has to be cut by the first responder at an accident?
What Precautions need to be used in handling a damaged high voltage system?
It seems there should be a fuse that would cut off current from the battery, is there one?
Where is it?

Thanks for your help

Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Questions from a First Responder

Here are some links that provide information regarding several hybrid vehicles:

http://www.hybridcars.com/safety/hyb...esponders.html

http://www.extrication.com/erg.htm#T...er_Information

https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...eb/ers2006.pdf

http://www.extrication.com/ERG.htm

I made a printout of the first responders' info for my Honda Civic hybrid, and keep it in my car.

Hope the info helps.

Last edited by Gairwyn; 02-04-2008 at 09:55 PM. Reason: additional link
Old 02-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Engineering first

Hi,
Originally Posted by CyberBiker
My son is a Fireman/Paramedic and does first responder work for both of the organizations he works for. He posed a question that I have been unable to find an answer for, so I thought I would see what the pundits here had to say about the question or a source for the answer.

It is my understanding that the High Voltage wire coming from the Main Battery Pack to the Electric motor is orange.

It seems there should be a fuse that would cut off current from the battery, is there one?
Where is it?

Thanks for your help
I don't have it handy but Toyota has a "first responders guide" available on the internet. But I'll briefly cover the high-points:
  • three relays control control access inside the sealed traction battery pack and only one has to open to 'safe' the battery
  • the relays are controlled by a battery computer that should it detect a failure from any of the other control computers or air bag activation, opens the relays
  • The relays are operated by the 12 VDC battery and if the 12VDC voltage system goes off, the relays open
  • The battery computer uses a ground-fault isolation circuit to detect a short to the vehicle frame and open the relays
  • The outside of the traction battery has an "orange" jumper that is easy to reach and once pulled, it also opens the battery high voltage circuit
  • The battery uses a mat-type electrolyte system, not an acid bath like lead acid batteries so they tend to seep rather than flow if the case is cracked
  • The traction battery is located above the rear axle, one of the strongest locations in the body
  • The high voltage cables are located under the bottom of the car and go to the area between the engine and firewall
The emergency responder guides can be found from a link at:

http://techinfo.toyota.com/public/main/2ndprius.pdf

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-03-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:42 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by CyberBiker

Where is it?
CyberBiker,
From what I've been able to read, in the Honda hybrids, the high voltage wires are marked in orange, and these cables should never be cut. They recommend (best option) turning off and removing the ignition key, or (second option) removing the main fuse, located in the fuse box in the engine compartment, and disconnecting or cutting the negative terminal to the 12V battery in the engine compartment. See the pictures provided in Honda's links for specifics.
Different hybrids have different systems and setups, so check the various links to view info on the different vehicles. I noticed that in the GM mild hybrids, they have a bright blue cable as opposed to orange cables (indicative of a lesser voltage, I believe).

Last edited by Gairwyn; 02-03-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:15 AM
Active Enthusiast

Great information from the other posters!

As an emergency responder myself, I can say that hybrids are quite safe to perform extrication procedures around, as long as the responders have been trained to recognize and mitigate their unique hazards. News articles and forum discussions often needlessly fan hysteria among the uninformed. I've said it many times: Responder agencies need to assure their personnel have been trained. Training and resources on hybrid vehicle extrication have been available for years. There is no excuse for personnel not to have been trained.

Other hazards common in any wrecked car create greater risks than anything related to the hybrid technology. These include undeployed air bags, seat belt pretensionsers, and of course, fuel leaks.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Engineering first
Question Re: Questions from a First Responder

Originally Posted by JimboK
. . . and of course, fuel leaks.
I'm curious if there is any data indicating the Prius bladder system is more resistant to fuel leaks than ordinary fuel tank systems?

The Prius tanks aren't 'self-sealing' but I suspect an accident that punctures might not cause the bladder to leak. Just curious.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-04-2008, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I'm curious if there is any data indicating the Prius bladder system is more resistant to fuel leaks than ordinary fuel tank systems?

The Prius tanks aren't 'self-sealing' but I suspect an accident that punctures might not cause the bladder to leak. Just curious.

Bob Wilson
Hmm, good question. I've seen no data. And the Prius ERG doesn't address it.

In addition, since the bladder itself is contained in a rigid metal tank, I would think the tank could absorb some damage without the bladder being punctured.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:34 AM
Enthusiast

It is true that all hybrids have emergency response info available for first responders. There is only two big problems with that. The first is not everyone knows where to find it. The second is that each guide contains 20 to 30 pages per vehicle. The company I am involved in has taken months of research into the guides to create a quick reference guide for first responders. The guide contains over 20 different vehicles including the Enova School bus. We have taken the shutdown procedures and contained all the valuable info needed and condensed it to one page per vehicle. The guide is available at www.hybridhazards.info we are trying to get the word out to all First Responders. I hope this info helps you and all First Responders.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Engineering first

Does it come with a subscription service for updates?

One of the problems we've found is the technology continues to advance and changes show up. For example, the Chevy Volt and future Honda hybrids are both likely to be a bit different.

Do you see this as a training manual or something else to haul on the truck or wagon?

Bob Wilson

Old 10-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Enthusiast

Thats a good point Bob, We are going to update the quick reference guide once a year. At the time of printing we had to have an end date. The next guide will be an all new guide. We currently have the guide as updated as much as was possible at the time of printing it. We have some 2009 vehicles already in the guide.We currently have 24 different vehicles in the guide. It includes 12 volt and high voltage battery locations. Trunk release locations and the time it takes for air bag and high voltage systems to time out.This is a quick reference guide that we would like to see every Rescue and Police vehicle have.
These vehicles are very well engineered and they change every year. They are expecting 10 new models for 2009 and as many as 35 new models by 2011. I'm sure you can imagine how busy our company is going to be gathering all the new info on all the new models. Its a tremendous amount of research to do this. The company I work for www.hybridhazards.info is doing this as a way to help protect first responders. Its not a subsitute for training, it is a quick way to find out what they need to know.