Newbie-First post-Loaded Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast
Question Newbie-First post-Loaded Questions

I don't currently own a hybrid but we want one badly. $ being an issue we are looking at a used 03 HCH with 95.000 miles. What should we look out for? Would anyone out there be really reluctant on this? The car looks to be in good shape, a few scratches, and needs new tires but we've got the dealer down to 10,900. Of course no warranty and my wife thinks I,m crazy. Any advice? Gatorgofer

Old 09-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Banned
Default Re: Newbie-First post-Loaded Questions

Do you know the lifetime mpg on the HCH? If it's really low, that might suggest abusive driving.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is it a CVT, if so that will be better for pack life.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi GatorGofer:

___$11K for a used hybrid automobile w/ 95,000 miles on the ticker? That sounds a bit steep but KBB is showing the following …

Retail: $14,130
Private Party: $11,290
Trade In: $9,125

___$11,000? It seems Ok according to what KBB says they are worth but when looking up the 03 Corolla LE w/ Auto and only 73,000 miles on the clock, the numbers for TIV and PP came back at $7,635 Trade In and $9,395 Private Party. A 15 mpg real world increase for $2,000 more $’s and that many more miles is a lot to swallow imho. Just looking at other options is all … Now is a real bad time to be looking for a fuel efficient used automobile

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Newbie-First post-Loaded Questions

Originally Posted by gatorgofer
I don't currently own a hybrid but we want one badly. $ being an issue we are looking at a used 03 HCH with 95.000 miles. What should we look out for? Would anyone out there be really reluctant on this? The car looks to be in good shape, a few scratches, and needs new tires but we've got the dealer down to 10,900. Of course no warranty and my wife thinks I,m crazy. Any advice? Gatorgofer
gatorgofer; I work at a dealer and you did not say what kind of dealer has this vehicle for sell, if it's not a Honda dealer I can assure you that they do-not have anything in that car like the asking price. The vehicle is being priced strickly based on high fuel cost so my advise is (if-you-really-want-it) to offer that dealer alot less than they are asking fot it with that many miles and "NO-Warranty".

Remember; their selling and it's your money so figure out what you and your (WIFE) can live with and make offer to that dealer with the understanding that if they don't take you up on it that when you leave, don't call you and your not coming back take your offer or forget it.

Hint: Don't go back if they don't take your offer it wasn't meant to be anyway:

HTH

Terry

BTW: Don't forget you have to live with your wife so make sure she is in agreement Good-Luck !!!

Old 09-22-2005, 07:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

The dealer is gonna have to go lower on that car in my opinion, just for teh reasons of No warrenty and needing new tires. That's at least 200-300 off for tires since you're gonna have to replace them!

Old 09-22-2005, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I believe I will let this one pass, for several reasons. Right now it is indeed a sellers market and perhaps things will ease up a bit in few months when all this hurricane craziness lets up. Also, as the 06's come in I suspect the selection of trade-ins will increase a good bit! Believe it or not this dealer (a Honda dealer) started out at 13,900! I guess I could make them a hard ball offer for less to account for the tires and lack of warranty but I think we'll continue to save $ and wait for another opportunity with a few fewer miles. Again thanks for your help and I look foward to continued participation in this forum. Gatorgofer

Old 09-22-2005, 06:28 PM
G.H. Contributor
Post Re: Newbie-First post-Loaded Questions

Originally Posted by gatorgofer
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I believe I will let this one pass, for several reasons. Right now it is indeed a sellers market and perhaps things will ease up a bit in few months when all this hurricane craziness lets up. Also, as the 06's come in I suspect the selection of trade-ins will increase a good bit! Believe it or not this dealer (a Honda dealer) started out at 13,900! I guess I could make them a hard ball offer for less to account for the tires and lack of warranty but I think we'll continue to save $ and wait for another opportunity with a few fewer miles. Again thanks for your help and I look foward to continued participation in this forum. Gatorgofer
gatorgofer; A smart move on your part. Way to many miles and way to high of a price with NO-Warranty. I think it's called take advantage of the consumer and that Honda-Dealer is certainly trying their best to live up to that.

Good-Move

Terry