Question about JBL stereo

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Question about JBL stereo

So the info on the Prius on toyota.com is a bit ligth and I love internet research :-)

The JBL stereo on the higlander automatically turns the volume up or down depending upon road noice. Does the prius one do the same?

/Robert

Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Prius geek
Default Re: Question about JBL stereo

Nope, not that I'm aware. Anyone else have a better answer? I'm commenting with 2 years posting/reading on this and 2 other Prius sites...haven't run across that feature.

Old 01-05-2006, 04:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What you are reffering to is speed sensitive volume controls. Ford and GM have had it for a few years now. Neat feature. Ford's is much better than GMs and has a lot more user adjustment built into it so that the radio compensates for road speed according to the user's tastes

Anyway, nice to see Toyota getting into the mix, but I'm not aware of it being available on the Prius.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:42 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

The car's so quiet, already. Would adjusting the stero volume be necessary?

Old 01-06-2006, 11:41 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well the car is quiet (no engine some of the time) but at speed 65 mph you have wind noise and that 4 cylinder engine will be revving. I can say after riding for an hour that it's quiet for being a cheap car but not that quiet. I can also say that the JBL stereo is adequate at best (which makes me wonder what the standard one sounds like).

Old 01-07-2006, 08:03 AM
2006 Prius

The 2006 Prius does have this feature. On the Audio screen, it's at the bottom left. On cars with the CD changer, it's the "ASL" icon (Automatic Sound Levelizer). On cars without the CD changer the "DSP" icon displays the ASL screen.

Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GraphicArtist
The 2006 Prius does have this feature. On the Audio screen, it's at the bottom left. On cars with the CD changer, it's the "ASL" icon (Automatic Sound Levelizer). On cars without the CD changer the "DSP" icon displays the ASL screen.
Cool! This is a nice feature. I must also say that while the stereo in the 05 is not that great on high volume it's decent on low volume and the car is so quiet that it works quiet well.

Old 01-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Enthusiast

The ASL feature seems to increase the volume at higher speeds, but not high enough. This is true for the radio and CD player. However, there seems to be no volume increase for AUX IN. Can anyone else confirm or dispute this (on a 2006, of course)?

Originally Posted by GraphicArtist