Prius floor mats -- required??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Prius floor mats -- required??

Hi all. I'm in California and working with an auto broker to get a 2007 Prius. He's telling me that all Priuses (Prii?? ) come with floor mats -- to the tune of $199. He says it's part of MSRP, but I'm not convinced.

A Toyota dealership quoted me the same $22,175 MSRP (plus additional car destination charge) and said nothing of $200 more dollars for floor mats.

For my own peace of mind, can anyone tell me if "Floor mats requred" is True or False?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Prius floor mats -- required??

I bought my Prius about 3 weeks back. The dealer told me the same thing about the mats. I told him that either he can throw in the mats (and some funky treatment with the bumper), or not give me the mats, I refused to pay for it. He told me that he was going to not give me the mats, but eventually gave them to me just to keep me happy. For good measure, he gave me the tinted windows as well. In the end, I paid MSRP minus $400 for package number 7. +G

Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks, +G! Sounds like you were able to get a good deal. I signed up with this broker, supposedly to make the buying experience easier, and I'm just having to negotiate with HIM instead of the dealer. So far, I'm not a happy camper. Sigh.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Two years ago when I purchased my new 04, floor mats were extra. The Denver area dealer I used added them to all Prius for total of $85. There were no other added costs and since I was getting $300 discount with referral from Costco I accepted the mats.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Enthusiast

Ok...I'm confused.

In my research I have found that the matts, window tint, toyoguard, interior lighting, etc. are NOT included in BASE MSRP, but are added to MSRP just like the broker said.

If I search inventory on Toyota, I can find them with certain accessories from the factories, others without. The basic matt ($199) seems to be on a large percentage, some including the trunk matt (MSRP $249).

Check out the Toyota page and you'll see that the 100 or so vehicles that come up in your region on a certain package level vary several hundred in MSRP.

Am I missing something???

Old 09-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

Now I'm confused too, Jonathan! When I "build a Toyota" on the Toyota Web site, the base MSRP is consistently $22,175. How do I check inventory on vehicles coming into my region?

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Enthusiast

Let me reproduce what I am seeing...

Go to http://www.toyota.com/prius/index.ht...TN_PRIUS_INDEX
Click Build & Price and use 33781 as ZIP
Click Top Right 2007 Prius (Bottom is touring)
Next Step
Leather
Package 6
View Inventory

At this moment I see 26 cars in the SE USA.
Notice the spread on MSRP...click into each and see that the reason is the features...
Some have matts, some don't. If they do, they are an addition over base MSRP.

See what I mean? Seems Toyota predetermines what accessories it will have from the factory...(or at least some of them)

Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonathansullivan
Let me reproduce what I am seeing...

Go to http://www.toyota.com/prius/index.ht...TN_PRIUS_INDEX
Thanks Jonathan. I see what you're saying! The extras that come on the car totally vary, even when they have the exact same exterior and interior.

BTW, we don't have the inventory option here in Northern California. Plug in our Zip codes and all you get are the MSRP figures.

Old 09-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Nut

All these extra charges make me nuts. That's why I negotiated based on the "out-the-door" price which is the total of everything you'll pay (not including trade-in and deposit).

Then they could put anything they liked anywhere they liked on the sales form and all I needed to look at was the bottom line.

BTW, I got floor mats and I don't remember an extra charge for them.

Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PriusNut
All these extra charges make me nuts. That's why I negotiated based on the "out-the-door" price which is the total of everything you'll pay (not including trade-in and deposit).

Then they could put anything they liked anywhere they liked on the sales form and all I needed to look at was the bottom line.
Thanks, David. Yes, I pretty much am trying to negotiate the bottom line right now. Am disappointed that it's including $200 more for floor mats and that the broker is telling me "that's the way it comes." Compared to the total cost, I suppose, it's a drop in the bucket, but I don't have money to throw around. Plus I can get mats at Kragen for $20.

More than that, though, I think I'm just balking at the fact that I'm paying the broker a fee and yet not ending up with exactly the deal I want.

Quick Reply: Prius floor mats -- required??

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands