Prius Airbag Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Prius Airbag Question

I am looking to buy a 2004 used Prius and I want to be sure it has the front and rear side CURTAIN air bags. I assume these are different than the driver and passanger side air bags. Can anyone tell me how I can check and verify the curtain airbags are installed? Were these standard equipment along with the side airbags for 2004 models?

Thank you for the help!

Old 08-11-2006, 09:35 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Prius Airbag Question

My 2004 doesn't have the side air bags so they were not standard equipment in that model year. I don't remember if they were available in one of the packages.

JeffD

Old 08-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Don't Taunt Pepito
Default Re: Prius Airbag Question

The side curtain airbags are definitely different than the side airbags. Side airbags come out of the seat and the curtain airbags come out of the ceiling. Side airbags should be indicated by a little tag on the side of the seat. For the curtain airbags, there should be a marking near the top of the post that runs from the dashboard to the ceiling.

Judging from the list of packages/options found here, if the car has side airbags it will have the curtain airbags, too.

You could always post the question on Priuschat.com, too. There's lot's of Prius owners over there who would be more than willing to help.

Tell 'em Proco sent you.

Last edited by proco; 08-11-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:49 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Tag on seat, and "stamping" on A-pillar-front pillar that supports roof.

The side/side curtains were available on 2004 Prius(they always come together as an option-you can't have the side without the curtains on the 2004 and later)).Unfortunately they were an option and many-at least 1/2 is my guess-didn't come with them.
This is how you can tell if it has side and side curtain airbags.
1)There is usually a tag on both front seats saying "side airbag" or SRS side airbag.
2)There is also a "stamping/cast in actually" on the plastic that covers the A-Pillar.The A pillar is the front column that supports the roof.It is just in front of the drivers side window, and is the pillar that obstructs you view. This stamp will say "SRS" and probably "curtain airbag".
BE CAREFUL-SNEAKY DEALERS WILL frequently write driver's airbag, passenger's airbag and side airbags. It is a trick to make you think it has side airbags.Their answer when called on this is that it is short for passengers side airbag. However the S on the airbags shows it is an intentional lie!This is a common trick on Ebay.Make sure you see the tag on the front seats-have them send a picture.
All Prius with side airbags(the one that comes out of the seat) also have side curtain airbags-the one that comes from the roof.
The Side/side curtain airbags ALWAYS COME TOGETHER IN 2004 AND UP PRIUS. The earlier Prius had just side airbags.
Luck,Charlie
PS Don't settle for one without the side side curtains. It will be a huge selling point in the future(resale) when there isn't an undersupply of Prius..Tiny cars need side/side curtains.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Prius Airbag Question

Thanks for the information! I knew in pre-2004 models side airbags didn't mean side curtain, but wasn't sure if that was true for the newer models. Now I know where to look to verify, since side curtain bags are important to me.