Practical changes to your driving method

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 11:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Practical changes to your driving method

I just thought I would add that I drive my 06 Prius exactly the same way as I drove my previous car, a 1994 Camry 6. So without trying to "baby" my Prius at all, I get 44mpg. My daily comute is mostly freeway, 35 miles each way. Now here in San Diego, our weather is usually warm, so maybe that helps.

Paula, SD comuter

Old 11-07-2008, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks to all of you, we will have to study all this carefully to try and absorb it--I confess, I'm not sure what our oil or tire pressures are, exactly, I'll check this weekend. I can tell you that the other evening, I drove in town, stop and go driving at speeds of between 25 and 45, and after 25 minutes, the battery color was still blue. I am a tiny bit confused about the energy production screen, but I assumed that blue meant it was cold, and green meant it was warmed up. My commute involves 10 minutes at 25-35, 15 minutes at 65, and 5 minutes at 25 going, and the reverse coming home. On our second tank of gas, we're running at about 47-48 mph. I did read (somewhere on this forum) that the computer calculation of the mileage can be off--when I did the math after filling the tank, the computer had said we had an average of about 43, but I came up with 47--there was something about a variable sized gas tank? You are all very gracious to give so much information to a pair of very happy newbies.

I do have one more question, my 16 year old just got her license, and we're not letting her drive it yet--I'm thinking after its first 1000 miles, so it's a little more settled. Any opinions? I don't think she has quite as much control (!!) as she drives as we do, but does that matter?
Thanks again,
MM in College Park

Old 11-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by CollegePark
Thanks to all of you, we will have to study all this carefully to try and absorb it--I confess, I'm not sure what our oil or tire pressures are, exactly, I'll check this weekend. . . .
Good deal!
I can tell you that the other evening, I drove in town, stop and go driving at speeds of between 25 and 45, and after 25 minutes, the battery color was still blue. I am a tiny bit confused about the energy production screen, but I assumed that blue meant it was cold, and green meant it was warmed up.
In your model, it has more to do with the battery state of charge (SOC) but sad to say, I'm not an NHW20 expert.
. . . My commute involves 10 minutes at 25-35, 15 minutes at 65, and 5 minutes at 25 going, and the reverse coming home. On our second tank of gas, we're running at about 47-48 mph.
Sounds like a good route. Don't worry, everyone has a 'learning curve' (although some folks call it a 'break in'.) <grins>
. . . I did read (somewhere on this forum) that the computer calculation of the mileage can be off--when I did the math after filling the tank, the computer had said we had an average of about 43, but I came up with 47--there was something about a variable sized gas tank?
The tank has a flexible bladder that allows it to minimize gas fume waste. But it can lead to misleading tank indications at low values and some folks have run out of gas. Running out of gas is not the end of the world and our Prius can still limp along on battery for a mile or so if you drop your speed to say 20-25 mph. It is a popular complaint but having deliberately run out of gas over three dozen times, it holds no terror for me. When I plan to run out of gas, I carry a spare, 1 gallon can and drive to a safe area to add it to the tank.

For now, I would recommend recording your mileage by one or the other method. Each has the risk of errors but as long as you use the same technique, you'll be able to compare historical to current data. My typical rule is to use the interactive MPG display for small experiments but use the pump and trip meter for overall vehicle performance.
. . . You are all very gracious to give so much information to a pair of very happy newbies.
We like to be kind and gentle to everyone who respects our web site. As a moderator, we're not very tolerant of SPAM that tries to abuse our web site to sell their products or advocate competing web site for free. Like everyone else, we want paid advertisers and freeloaders need not apply.

. . . I do have one more question, my 16 year old just got her license, and we're not letting her drive it yet--I'm thinking after its first 1000 miles, so it's a little more settled. Any opinions? I don't think she has quite as much control (!!) as she drives as we do, but does that matter?
You might print some of our tricks and recommendations and then ask her if she could 'check them out.' Sometimes 'asking for help' can give them a new attitude and it becomes an interesting challenge but I don't know the kid.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-07-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

A Prius is a great car for a new driver. I have both an SUV and access to my father's Prius. I notice (and he notices) a huge difference in my driving when I drive the Prius for any length of time. I follow other cars at a safer distance (no tailgating), I keep to a more reasonable speed, I look way ahead (mainly to see red lights ahead to which I can coast), which has the added benefit that I see more of the road. This is especially true when we are in competition mode to see who can average the best mileage.

The only downside that I can see is that a newer Prius might be more expensive to fix if she does have a fender bender. This is especially true if she is driving it to school, where the drivers are unpredictable.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Engineering first

Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by superjackie
A Prius is a great car for a new driver. I have both an SUV and access to my father's Prius. I notice (and he notices) a huge difference in my driving when I drive the Prius for any length of time. I follow other cars at a safer distance (no tailgating), I keep to a more reasonable speed, I look way ahead (mainly to see red lights ahead to which I can coast), which has the added benefit that I see more of the road. This is especially true when we are in competition mode to see who can average the best mileage.

The only downside that I can see is that a newer Prius might be more expensive to fix if she does have a fender bender. This is especially true if she is driving it to school, where the drivers are unpredictable.
It is also good to know how safe the Prius is ... 5 stars and with ABS standard and traction control optional ... it is a lot easier to replace hardware than people. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson