Practical changes to your driving method

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast
Default Practical changes to your driving method

Hi All,

I will be picking up a new Prius in the next few weeks and would like to learn how to get as much mpg as possible. Does anyone know a good thread that lists/explains the ways you can alter your driving methods?

Thanks...

Old 04-23-2006, 07:07 AM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: Practical changes to your driving method

Hi,
Originally Posted by drewski
I will be picking up a new Prius in the next few weeks and would like to learn how to get as much mpg as possible. Does anyone know a good thread that lists/explains the ways you can alter your driving methods?
Two recommendations: (1) put your car in the database and (2) scan the FAQ. If you have more questions about the FAQ, I'd be happy to share the backup data. But the database is critical.

By tracking your weekly MPG performance, you can experimentally verify what works and doesn't work. Using the database and the scientific method, you can recreate most of the FAQ.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Practical changes to your driving method

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

Two recommendations: (1) put your car in the database and (2) scan the FAQ. If you have more questions about the FAQ, I'd be happy to share the backup data. But the database is critical.

By tracking your weekly MPG performance, you can experimentally verify what works and doesn't work. Using the database and the scientific method, you can recreate most of the FAQ.

Bob Wilson

i second these suggestions. basically, you'll learn how your prius operates the first month. you'll learn how to read the gauges and adapt your driving style to maximize mpg. i've had my 06 hch for about 3 months now and am still refining and optimizing my driving technique. i've gone up from 45mpg to around 49 and plan to hit over 50. it will be a balance between what you want to achieve as a driver (mpg/speed, etc.) and how the car wants to manage things. all in all, it's quite fun and you'll be smiling ever mile knowing that you're helping the environment and saving money!

Old 04-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Practical changes to your driving method

Hi,

A word of caution is in order:

Originally Posted by toast64
This is in the LEARN section. It is about the Honda Civic Hybrid I, but the tips are mostly good for any situation, imo. Good luck with the new car!

https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...fficiency.html
Although I agree with the sentiment, there are significant differences between how a Honda Civic Hybrid works and the Toyota Prius. Like the old story about the Fox and the Stork who served each other supper with different place settings, the Fox's shallow pans and the Stork's long necked vases, trying to achieve hyper mileage status using the other's techniques are likely to be less than successful. So let's review some of the differences of the current models:

Honda - 49/51 (city/highway) MPG, EPA
Toyota - 60/51 (city/highway) MPG, EPA

The Prius is optimized for low speed, stop-and-go performance. In that environment, the Honda would suffer a significant performance loss. In contrast, the way to better Honda performance is to maximize highway driving. So it is no wonder the referenced article recommends Honda highway techniques instead of Prius urban techniques.

Some principles of high mileage driving are common to all vehicles: hard tires, maintenance, predictive braking. Also, both vehicles have an auto-stop and regenerative braking capability. But the Honda auto-stop works differently than the Prius and regenerative braking is also different. So take advice on common features with a 'grain of salt' and learn how each works best.

Bob Wilson

Old 04-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Prius Enthusiast

Drewski--
I've had my Prius for about three weeks, and I've gotta tell you, you don't need a manual--the in-dash display tells you everything you need to know. I have become a much, much, much better driver in just these three short weeks. Gone are my jackrabbit starts, my last-minute braking, and my going from 0-60 in a few seconds just because I WANT to...I mean, the Prius still allows all that behavior, but when you see that green bar go down to 10-15 mpg because of your bad driving habits, it knocks sense into you in a way a manual doesn't. Or my driver's ed teacher back in the day, for that matter. I'm at 43 mpg right now, but I'm still working on some of my bad behaviors. I'll top 50 soon!

Hope this helps!

Old 04-29-2006, 03:04 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

A word of caution is in order:

Although I agree with the sentiment, there are significant differences between how a Honda Civic Hybrid works and the Toyota Prius.
I agree with Bob. There are major differences, and some of the tips on the Civic may or will not work with the Civic. It was my intention to point out the basic principles, such as DWL, slowing down, etc. But I probably should not have recommended the article to a Prius owner because it could be confusing. My apologies if it was.

Last edited by toast64; 04-29-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:59 PM
04 prius 350,000km

although the hybrid did not change my driving style, I must say the pics on this site did

Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 PM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by toast64
I agree with Bob. There are major differences, and some of the tips on the Civic may or will not work with the Prius [RJW]. It was my intention to point out the basic principles, such as DWL, slowing down, etc. But I probably should not have recommended the article to a Prius owner because it could be confusing. My apologies if it was.
No problem. I know we share the same goals and your Honda Civic hybrid is an excellent alternative.

If you are interested in learning about Prius technology, this is one of the better web sites:
http://www.ecrostech.com/prius/original/PriusFrames.htm

One curious phenomia are the Honda drivers, hybrid and non-hybrid, who come to Prius forums to post. I'd first observed this in Ebay last September when I found a lot of "not a prius" postings. As long as they do no harm, I figure it is just "Prius envy." <grins>

Bob Wilson

Old 10-29-2008, 03:41 AM
Enthusiast

We are brand new Prius owners, of a 2009, and have read the FAQs and threads such as this, but are only getting 42 MPG (with 220 miles on the car). One issue is that the battery takes so long to warm up--we only have a 25 minute commute, about 10 minute with lights or stop signs every few blocks, and 10 minutes at 60 to 65 mph. Getting to my daughter's school means a drive of 35 minutes in the 25 to 35 mph range. On both these drives, we have only gotten the battery to green for the last five minutes or so. Is there something about the break-in period? Thanks in advance, I'm so pleased to have found this great forum, it's a great resource,

Old 10-29-2008, 06:15 AM
Engineering first

Good morning and Welcome to the CLUB!
Originally Posted by CollegePark
We are brand new Prius owners, of a 2009, and have read the FAQs and threads such as this, but are only getting 42 MPG (with 220 miles on the car).
Just a couple of questions:
  • engine oil level on dip stick?
  • tire pressure?
. . . One issue is that the battery takes so long to warm up--
Sorry, this one has me a little confused. Are you talking about the battery state of charge? I want to make sure you're not asking about the mileage bar graph.

. . . we only have a 25 minute commute, about 10 minute with lights or stop signs every few blocks, and 10 minutes at 60 to 65 mph. Getting to my daughter's school means a drive of 35 minutes in the 25 to 35 mph range. On both these drives, we have only gotten the battery to green for the last five minutes or so.
You have a new model Prius, the NHW20, mine is the older, NHW11. Warm-up is very important at the beginning and using electric mode at the end. If your initial "10 minute" can keep the speeds at 25 mph or less for the first 1-2 miles, your car will warm-up before getting any significant load. A warmed up Prius is much more efficient even in stop-and-go traffic.

Ken@Japan has shared the Prius warm-up cycles and mentioned the importance of reaching a point where the engine shuts off by itself at a stop. I have occasionally 'tricked' the engine to run at a stop by holding the brake and briefly pressing the accelerator pedal. The engine revs up and if it automatically stops, I know the car is throughly warmed up. The key to this last phase is the engine has to be running when you come to a stop and it 'shut off' by itself. This is an advanced technique.

Finally, at the end of a trip, you need to find a final 1-2 miles at a speed of 30-35 mph. What this does is let you use all of the warmed up engine heat and battery stored energy from the 65 mph segment to boost your final trip mileage.

. . . Is there something about the break-in period? Thanks in advance, I'm so pleased to have found this great forum, it's a great resource,
There are many reports of a 'break-in' period but there is also a 'learning curve' because this car is so new to drivers of non-hybrid cars. I bought my Prius used and also had a 'break-in' mileage ... on a car with over 49,000 miles! <grins>

The biggies are oil level (must be under "F" mark) and tire pressure (needs to be as high as you can enjoy the ride, 42/40 psi seems to work for many folks.) Next is route planning: (1) warm-up for 1-2 miles at no more than 25 mph; (2) middle cruise, try to hold 38 mph when you can, stay at 65 mph or under at high speeds; and (3) cool-down at 30-35 mph for the last 2 miles on a regular trip:

BTW, cold weather, anything under 60F, is brutal on mileage. It is the 'winter blues' for all hybrids due to longer warm-up and denser air. But I bought my Prius the first of October and but for one tank, was ready for my beat the EPA star at 3,000 miles. So have faith as we get the basics checked.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 10-29-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Practical changes to your driving method

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands