Plug-In Hybrid Prius - Who's Got One?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Plug-In Hybrid Prius - Who's Got One?

Most PHEV Mod implementers for the Prius claimed an availability of "Late 2006." Give them a few months leeway and here we are in 2007, so let's hear the Plug-in mod stories!

Anyone do the mod? How is it?

In reading up on the available mods it occurred to me that depending on the implementation, Assist may be maxed out at all times. If so, not only would you have moved yourself to a car that can drive 30 miles in a little less than an hour on no gas, but you've also got a higher-performing Prius - maxed out Assist means the electric will kick in hard when you ask it to. Even when I have just 7 bars I find the Prius climbs hills easier than with 6 or certainly 5.

So, anyone got the mod?

Old 03-13-2007, 01:37 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Plug-In Hybrid Prius - Who's Got One?

The answer to question 15 here is almost like a politician wrote it:
http://www.edrivesystems.com/faq.html
Why even include something that bad in the FAQ? Embarassing.

It sounds like the EDrive system takes over EV Mode "for you" (given my experience with the Prius computer I don't anticipate this control being exactly brilliant). It sounds like the car will attempt to drive for up to 50 miles before the gas comes on because the controller they install engages EV Mode for you at car start (can't call it ignition can I?). So... this begs the all-important question, if the car was designed to be driven warmed up, and you go driving it 50 miles cold every day... how's that gonna go for car life expectancy?

It's also fitting that Hymotion, based in cost-conscious Boston, where I used to live, intends to offer their PHEV solution for $5000, while here in lavish LA you have Edrive offering it for $12000. My Dad will be so pleased to find out I drove cross country to see him... but mostly save $7000 on improving my mileage.

Last edited by SoopahMan; 03-13-2007 at 01:44 AM.