future of Prius?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default future of Prius?

I am in the US Air Force stationed in England right now and have been planning on buying a new car when I both leave England and get out of the military. I have always wanted a high MPG vehicle and have been hearing about the Prius since I was in high school. I have a few questions about the future of this vehicle.

Like I was saying I am not going to buy a new vehicle until I get back to the united sates and that is going to be in 2009. I have a family of 4 my wife a 5'3" Japanese lady my 7yo, 1yo, and myself a 6'3". I have concerns about my height and the size of the Prius being used as a family car. I wanted to know what the worse things are about the Prius when combined with a tall and muscular guy. Is there enough room to move around or will a tall person feel cramped. I would just test drive one but there are few US spec vehicles in the UK.

Would the Prius be a good car to have as a 4 person family vehicle and or, are there any hybrid vans on the horizons?

Are there any interesting technologies about to come out for the Prius?

What are your thoughs on buying a new vs. used prius and the health of batteries?

thanks for reading and I look forward to the vehicles with electric motors in their wheels. some links follow: http://media.mitsubishi-motors.com/p...etail1269.html ; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:A-Hrafn/Wheel_motor
There are a lot more places to look into this technology but just looking at the wieght savings of taking most of the guts linking the drive wheels to the motor is amazing.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: future of Prius?

This Prius is pretty small, it would be cramped. Maybe the Toyota Highlander SUV hybrid would be a better alternative. It still gets a rated 33MPG. Or maybe the Toyota Camry Hybrid which gets about 45MPG. By 2009 there will be ALOT more hybrids. There will even be a Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Macromage

I have a family of 4 my wife a 5'3" Japanese lady my 7yo, 1yo, and myself a 6'3". I have concerns about my height and the size of the Prius being used as a family car. I wanted to know what the worse things are about the Prius when combined with a tall and muscular guy. Is there enough room to move around or will a tall person feel cramped.
I'm 6'4" and I find my Prius to be roomier than my '99 Civic, and I've driven that car to Florida twice. Being tall is not an issue in a Prius.

I believe you could fit two child seats in the back easily, and have some room in the very back for a stroller. My kids are grown, so I don't have any direct experience there.

Fuel economy of a Prius is an order of magnitude greater than an SUV hybrid.

Harry

Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 AM
Engineering first

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.
I am in the US Air Force stationed in England right now and have been planning on buying a new car when I both leave England and get out of the military. . . . I am not going to buy a new vehicle until I get back to the united sates and that is going to be in 2009.
You may want to look at the used market on both sides of the pond. The European Prius can have an optional Electric Vehicle mode switch installed by Toyota that has not been sold in the North American Prius. You can use Ebay to get an idea of relative prices and depending upon shipping costs, you may want to start with an European Prius.

. . .
Would the Prius be a good car to have as a 4 person family vehicle and or, are there any hybrid vans on the horizons?
I'm waiting on a hybrid van too but you might also want to try a Camry hybrid. For a family vehicle, a Camry hybrid would be a very nice choice. I see the Prius as more of a 'commuting' car with a small family capability.

. . .
Are there any interesting technologies about to come out for the Prius?

What are your thoughs on buying a new vs. used prius and the health of batteries?
New technology is always showing up and predicting is always risky. As for the batteries, they have a very long life. If concerned, buy a Prius with a remaining warranty and don't worry about it. There are after-market, extended warranty services too. Since I have no problem with 'self maintenance,' these services don't appeal to me but others may need this additional insurance.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 03-14-2007, 08:19 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It is hard to predict technological offerings two years in advance but my guess is you will have a lot of choices in 2009 and certainly many more than today.

The Prius is bigger on the inside than it looks like from the outside but you may well decide a little less room for an additional 15 mpg is worth it, or maybe not.

I do not have the link for it but my understanding is the hybrid battery pack has not been replaced in the U.S. on any Prius due to wearing out yet that I know of. Some accident damage replacements but no general failures to charge properly replacements.

The Prius and Highlander Hybrid are extremely reliable and less prone to problems too. This is because of excellent engineering and manufacture. The transmission (eCVT) has fewer moving parts to cause problems and there is no starter to wear out, to name two.

Whichever you choose you will probably end up very pleased. I know I am.