P&G and my outstanding results

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: P&G and my outstanding results

Well, as a "newbee" Prius driver, just driving "carefully" but at or slightly above the speed limit, my overall average is 4.9 l/100 km. High speed does, of course, drop the mileage (speeds up around 105 km/hr - 65 MPH). There I average in the 5-5.2 l/100 km. But then my average quickly moves back down to 4.9 once I get to drive a little slower. All above in brutal mountain pass driving as well as "interstate" type environments (that in Alberta).

Having just got back home after my trip to the coast where I got to test Pearl on hard climbs and drops from mountain pass'. I was impressed!

I find it's easier to get in the better mileage area on all-day drives, as the warm-up doesn't have a big impact on mileage.

Oh, and man is it hard to get into "warp stealth" - that "band gap" is very narrow! I find thin soled shoes make it much easier (so I can actually feel pedal pressure).

Old 06-26-2007, 09:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Beale
Well, as a "newbee" Prius driver, just driving "carefully" but at or slightly above the speed limit, my overall average is 4.9 l/100 km. High speed does, of course, drop the mileage (speeds up around 105 km/hr - 65 MPH). There I average in the 5-5.2 l/100 km. But then my average quickly moves back down to 4.9 once I get to drive a little slower. All above in brutal mountain pass driving as well as "interstate" type environments (that in Alberta).

Having just got back home after my trip to the coast where I got to test Pearl on hard climbs and drops from mountain pass'. I was impressed!

I find it's easier to get in the better mileage area on all-day drives, as the warm-up doesn't have a big impact on mileage.

Oh, and man is it hard to get into "warp stealth" - that "band gap" is very narrow! I find thin soled shoes make it much easier (so I can actually feel pedal pressure).
Once the car breaks in, you should be able to get into the low 4s (judging by other AB owners like KingHuang over at PC)

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
For Canada, 851.7 km / 532 mi., is not bad. Nothing else, just P&G, right?

I think the latest driving target is 1,600 km and I understand at least 52 Japanese have achieved that mark. Individual and team USA drivers have achieved that mark and I would expect to hear more reports this summer.

Bob Wilson
I suppose hehe. I don't know what the record is in Canada (I think I remember seeing 3.8L/100km and 1000kms+ from someone in Saskatchewan).

Yeah, it's just P&G. Nothing special like removing the spare tyre or tilting the car to get 60 litres in like some Japanese owners (hence their 2,000km+ tanks). I did drive the entire tank with the A/C off however. I had to use the windows last Wed cause it was rather hot (mid.. maybe upper 20s?).

My target is 900kms now

Old 06-27-2007, 01:14 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: P&G and my outstanding results

Hi,
Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
. . .
Yeah, it's just P&G. Nothing special like removing the spare tyre or tilting the car to get 60 litres in like some Japanese owners (hence their 2,000km+ tanks). I did drive the entire tank with the A/C off however. I had to use the windows last Wed cause it was rather hot (mid.. maybe upper 20s?).
If you have a block heater, try using it year round. This can significantly improve your morning commute and evening if you have a power source at work.

You might also have the wheel alignment checked. The rear wheels have a fixed geometry so some of us are using 'shim kits' to get the rear alignment closer to perfect. Elimination of toe and reduction in camber lets the car roll a lot easier.

Check the FAQ for oil level, tire pressures and other suggestions. P&G has its limits.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

Old 06-27-2007, 07:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

Oh, and we are all just crazy doing this, right? We all agree?

I feel almost guilty giving the gas station attendant $20 and getting change. Maybe I drove an SUV for too long.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Hi,

If you have a block heater, try using it year round. This can significantly improve your morning commute and evening if you have a power source at work.

You might also have the wheel alignment checked. The rear wheels have a fixed geometry so some of us are using 'shim kits' to get the rear alignment closer to perfect. Elimination of toe and reduction in camber lets the car roll a lot easier.

Check the FAQ for oil level, tire pressures and other suggestions. P&G has its limits.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson
I don't have an EBH installed. I probably should since I hate the 5 min warm up mileage.

Hmm... my front tyres were wearing out faster than the rears. The fronts (which have recently been rotated to the rears) have worn edges. I'm running 38/36 too!

I haven't checked the oil level in a while. I'll get that done when I get home. My new tank is reading 4.0L/100km at 270kms in! Sweet.

Originally Posted by David Beale
Oh, and we are all just crazy doing this, right? We all agree?

I feel almost guilty giving the gas station attendant $20 and getting change. Maybe I drove an SUV for too long.

hahah. I can no longer pump $20 tanks like I used to when the car was new. Now, a full tank will cost $35-$40. Still better than the $70 required on the Camry!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:51 AM
Hybrid Newbie

I believe we are all happy about the Prius we own more or less - with some less fortune owners with some issues here and there.

My biggest joy now is I no longer require to fill the gas on weekly basis but bi-weekly. I still pay about the same amount per gas station visit, but cut down the cost to half. Even though my original hope is to cut it down to 1/3, I am satisfied with half now.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 PM

Just last week, I broke another record.

I didn't beat the 4.0L/100km that I had posted but I did beat the range. I went 902.0kms (didn't plan the .0, seriously) and it read 4.2L/100km!

This was last week.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:28 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Just last week, I broke another record.

I didn't beat the 4.0L/100km that I had posted but I did beat the range. I went 902.0kms (didn't plan the .0, seriously) and it read 4.2L/100km!

This was last week.
Have you tried running the block heater even now? Our Japanese friends report good results with using the block heater year round.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 PM

no not yet... I don't even have one installed yet