Needed Improvements

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Needed Improvements

Hi Plusaf..

Thank for your comment.. and you can LOL three times in a row...

I thought we think similar but when discussed I look at it in different angle we're much look at the same thing BUT different way in describing and viewpoint. Yep,, bugfree, risk free and so on. I know only garmin C330 has Win NT. By the time I bought my Prius, I already have the Garmin C330 that was why I did not want to bother the build in system.

You may right about that the NAV system does not pass anything through the car BUT still I prefer to get a Portable one that I can use with my Van. Is this make sense ?

QUOTED from you.. Plusaf

"....and if someone wrote a virus for a Linux or whatever version, the worst it might do is erase the NAV data or ouput bogus directions, so a virus scan and reload would fix it, and you could do that from home over the internet. not at $2-300 a year at the dealer's. "

Yes, this is what I mean too..Because I don't like to deal with such a Cra... like that at all. I know what to do about it but still I do want to be around with such defected issues and.. virus scan etc.. is okay.. I look at it as PREVENTIVE and MAINTENANCE OPTIONS.. How can we prevent it to happen ??? Yes, we can do that from home over the Internet, of course.

From my standpoint, you may not see what I see...

My husband likes etc.. downloads..too.. there are so many times that he also screwed up with something.. and it takes time to fix it.. He ended up buy getting new PC so did my mother-in-law.

WE pretty much doing on our own not /hardly go to the dealer.. and spend money with the dealer. Since we got this Prius, my husband did change oil and performed some simple maintenances.

We were offered free tires from our dealer if we get oil changes with them regularly BUT still. we do not want to drive 450 miles to get free tires from them.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zippie_Kandie
Hi Plusaf..

Thank for your comment.. and you can LOL three times in a row...

I thought we think similar but when discussed I look at it in different angle we're much look at the same thing BUT different way in describing and viewpoint. Yep,, bugfree, risk free and so on. I know only garmin C330 has Win NT. By the time I bought my Prius, I already have the Garmin C330 that was why I did not want to bother the build in system.

You may right about that the NAV system does not pass anything through the car BUT still I prefer to get a Portable one that I can use with my Van. Is this make sense ?
<snip>
We were offered free tires from our dealer if we get oil changes with them regularly BUT still. we do not want to drive 450 miles to get free tires from them.
triple-LOL! yep, them's my thoughts, too...
we were driving around Raleigh Friday, and i punched in the "home" address to the nav. it sent us on a road i wasn't familiar with, so i missed a turn. it never recalculated, and "Gloria", as we've named the !%#*!^$& in the box, never said a word. the nav route never changed and the first time "Gloria" spoke on that trip was as we approached our driveway, when "she" said, "you have reached your destination; navigation is complee" or whatever...

when the verbal advisory stops for no obvious reason and can't be turned on again and when the first "directions" it gives is "welcome to your destination," toyota and their suppliers should commit hari-kiri (sp?) in shame.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I hoped for this level of response concerning the Prius nav system.

I foound, for example, while stillin front of my home in Long Beach, Calif. I could enter Holiday Inn Select. Prius will respond with several choices. One of them was Hotel Circle, outside of San Diego, Calif- over 100 miles South of home - and was perfect.

On the other hand the system is incompetent when it comes to home/street addresses.

Unless I'm mistaken, the system is really CD/DVD. Why couldn't one obtain an updated DVD? The problem, however I'm sure is that the data would be no better than (in my case)the '06 information.

I will probably send something into Consumer's Report.

Prius are you reading?

Old 01-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Toad,

If you take the shift configuration aand imagine it horizontal, I think R would be up (i.e, towards the dash) while D would towards the back - I think.

But to the issue of the cruise control. It is not great.

If I may take a walk down memory lane. Both my 93 and '95 Saturns had CC. That control was great. I could set it 35 going into the mtns, and it would hold within 2-3 mph (fuzzzy logic?). We know the Prius can't do that.

On the other hand, The Saturn never got close to 53 mpg.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
Toad,

If you take the shift configuration aand imagine it horizontal, I think R would be up (i.e, towards the dash) while D would towards the back - I think.

But to the issue of the cruise control. It is not great.

If I may take a walk down memory lane. Both my 93 and '95 Saturns had CC. That control was great. I could set it 35 going into the mtns, and it would hold within 2-3 mph (fuzzzy logic?). We know the Prius can't do that.

On the other hand, The Saturn never got close to 53 mpg.
amen!
and good examples of "no standard shift pattern" would include the Muncie 4-speed, where reverse was to the left and forward toward the dash versus my long-lost mazda rx2, where reverse was to the right and down (towards the passenger's seat!).

humans (most or some, anyway) are pretty adaptable, so y'all will get used to the shift patterns after a while. won't you?

Old 01-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Enthusiast

Hi-

One thing that I've been peeved with that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the lack of backlit buttons on the steering wheel. Since I've only had my car for less than 2 weeks, I'm still jabbing at buttons at nighttime. It would be so easy to add this!

Old 01-14-2007, 06:57 PM

After a year, of ownership and 11000 miles of driving, I still hit the station-change buttons when I mean to change volume. What bothers me then, is that I can't just hit the opposite button, rerturning to the pre-set station. Also, the pre-sets seem not really so.

I do like the connector allowing me to play my iPod. I guess for over 30 grand I expect the moon.

As I think about it, my wife's 99 GMC truck has a feed-back loop which, as speed increases, and road noises increases, the radio volume increases. That's missing on the Prius.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkittie
Hi-

One thing that I've been peeved with that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is the lack of backlit buttons on the steering wheel. Since I've only had my car for less than 2 weeks, I'm still jabbing at buttons at nighttime. It would be so easy to add this!
my '04 has backlighting on the steering wheel buttons, though i think they're not bright enough to be practical...

gang... did toyota, in their "infinite wisdom" remove this feature, or does pkittie have her dash lights turned down?

Old 01-14-2007, 09:03 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by centrider
After a year, of ownership and 11000 miles of driving, I still hit the station-change buttons when I mean to change volume. What bothers me then, is that I can't just hit the opposite button, rerturning to the pre-set station. Also, the pre-sets seem not really so.

I do like the connector allowing me to play my iPod. I guess for over 30 grand I expect the moon.

As I think about it, my wife's 99 GMC truck has a feed-back loop which, as speed increases, and road noises increases, the radio volume increases. That's missing on the Prius.
in the sound setup screens for my '04, there's something called "adaptive" volume control....

oh, heck... you're just going to tell me to go read the manual....

but i don't think it adjusts the radio OR NAV volume, that i can tell...

of course, my nav rarely talks to me anyway... did my deodorant fail? was it something i said? we checked all of the nav voice settings today, and 'most all were set where i thought they should be, and "on." then we drove home from a friend's house, about 4o minutes.

when we reached our driveway, "Gloria" announced, once again, "you have reached your destination. your route guidance is now complete." or whatever.

i think the designers should be sentenced to have to rely on this kind of nav to find the next public restroom in five or ten medium-sized US cities, then be given three cups of coffee and set out on the road....

Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM

You know, I noticed something like that today. I commented to my wife as I805 became I5 in San Diego, that I didn't hear our madame bleu announce I5 was ahead.

Usually, the NAV also announces to continue when leaving a rest area. In fact, she didn't bother to tell us we were home (your destination is . . .).

I haven't noticed backlighting on my wheel controls. I think it best to memorize their location and hit them by touch.

centrider

Quick Reply: Needed Improvements

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands