MPG...Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: MPG...Wow!

Bob,

Will you do that spreadsheet jazz for a 2004-2006 generation prius and let me know what temp the car "likes"?

BTW, my car didn't like the 35 mph, gusting to over 50 mph winds in the last few days. I was only able to get 63 mpg at 45F instead of my normal 74ish mpg for the same commutes.

Old 11-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: MPG...Wow!

Hi,
Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
Will you do that spreadsheet jazz for a 2004-2006 generation prius and let me know what temp the car "likes"?

BTW, my car didn't like the 35 mph, gusting to over 50 mph winds in the last few days. I was only able to get 63 mpg at 45F instead of my normal 74ish mpg for the same commutes.
I'll walk you through it but I've got some other tasks taking my time:

1) Click into the list of all Prius II vehicles.
2) Select all text from the headers starting with "Car Name" to the end of the list
3) Copy to 'paste buffer'
4) Open a blank spreadsheet
5) Paste in the data
6) Sort by "Tanks" (you want vehicle with a lot of tanks)

Survey the top "n" vehicles to see that they went through several cold and hot spells. These are the vehicles that have the data samples you want.

7) Cut and paste the vehicle records into one spreadsheet (more samples are better)
8) Sort by temperature (you may choose to limit the miles per sample)
9) Using spreadsheet, calculate the MPG for all car records in each range
10) Use a scatter plot with the first column the temperature range and second column the MPG
11) the graph has your answer

This method works for any model of hybrid.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-22-2006 at 08:55 PM.