Mpg

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Mpg

Does anyone have any information on the computer chip from China that can be installed into the Prius that will improve the MPG up to 100 mpg or so. I read something recentelly on this web site. If anyone has any info please let all of us know. We all love our Prius but the actual MPG is not what was told to us. We all would like it better.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mpg

Never heard of this chip.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:57 AM

never heard of it either.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

What? - You think some simple chip is going to give you 100mpg? I am sorry but if that were possible don't you think the manufacturer would be installing it into their cars so they could grow their market share? <shakes head> This is as bad as the old rumors of 100mpg carburetors.

What you probably heard about is a kit that is available to turn your car into a plug hybrid which can return 100mpg+ under certain operating conditions, primarily for those who do not drive more than 30 miles per day and can PLUG THE CAR IN AT NIGHT. It involves a new or supplemental battery pack and several other modifications to the vehicle, done by a specialty outfit.

It will cost you about $15,000 and will void your warranty.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:11 AM

Car chips alter the airflow or inlet air temperature data being fed to computer. Then the computer alters fuel flow in response, which for some vehicles (perhaps) will improve performance or economy.

Have every doubt that they would benefit the Prius. It seems to strive harder than any other vehicle to maintain the air/fuel ratio at the most efficient. Something like 14.7 on a mass basis. But that is what Prius *does*. The electric motors and transmission design assist substantially towards that goal. The result is both efficient conversion of gasoline to go, and unusually low pollutant emissions.

I doubt that a brief use of such a thing would damage the car. Maybe you'd get an error code, or eventually overheat the catalytic converter perhaps.

Ron if your Prius is not performing up to your expectations, please tell us how you use it, and you'll get *all sorts* of advice

DAS

Old 07-30-2007, 06:06 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am sorry if I sounded harsh - my apologies - it's just that the manufacturers spend millions of dollars trying to optimize the competing requirements of fuel economy, emissions and reasonable performance, without losing driveability in the process. It is challenging, and if there were some chip that would provide a solid 10% benefit (much less 100%) without any other compromise (ie. emissions or driveability), it would be selling like hotcakes.

I do believe the EV switch could benefit some people under very limited conditions (driving a half mile to the store and back without starting the ICE, for example), but even that won't have much impact since that is about all you can get without starting the ICE up on the next trip. I still may try it, but I really believe the next big gains will come from plug hybrids.

Last edited by jrb_nw; 07-30-2007 at 06:08 PM.