An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Chris: Sorry for any sarcasm in my earlier posts. I support your driving approach, wholeheartedly, though I can't find the time in my life to adopt it. (shame on me) I do adopt it when I can (i.e. weekends) and I drive very slowly in any residential or congested district. I don't do it to save the stress or getting improved mpg. I do it to be more respectful of the people living along those routes and because it's a bit of a "vacation" from having to travel so often at freeway speed.

Cheers!

Originally Posted by VaBeachPrius
Thanks, Tideland Prius, but in all seriousness; no, 85.9 mpg is not that impressive. All it proves is I have carefully picked roads with 25-35 mph speed limits, I have the patience and time to drive around town at an average moving speed of 25 mph, that I can anticipate what is happening ahead and behind me, that I don't take the freeway, and I understand the basic concepts of Pulse and Glide. If I had even more time on my hands, I would have a tank of 95 mpg.

FYI. I am at 1014 miles at 85.3 mpg this tank and I will fill tomorrow.

I really don't care whether people are impressed or not. I have proven that I can do it and I simply like that I can fill my car 4 times in six months and still drive 4200 miles.

I am not an environmentalist, but I am cheap. If one person takes inspiration to drive slower, than what the heck. I have found that by not taking the freeway, I am a stress free driver and I am traveling slow enough to enjoy what is happening around me when I travel. Life moves by too quickly to zip from place to place. My commute is at most 10-15 minutes longer by taking traffic free seconday roads than congested freeway routes.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:34 PM
MPG nut
Default Re: An inspiration to us all. 85.9mpg!

Originally Posted by FireEngineer
Larry, you know you'll be showing us your tank like this by October.

Wayne
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but, I thought it was rather spooky that Wayne was so accurate about when I would be posting my own tank like this. On October 10, 2007 I filled up with 12.162 gallons after driving 1056.5 miles for 86.9 mpg. Wayne, you should go to work for the Psychic Hotline.