Sources of Inspiration

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Red face Sources of Inspiration

By many published accounts, the FEH is the “brainchild” of Phillip A. Martens. As Ford’s Group VP for Product Creation, Phil got the project approved through the Ford bean-counters and then supervised what was the most complex project in Ford’s history. At a critical point he had Mary Ann Wright assigned to lead the development team and insured the FEH went into production on-schedule. Many of us that own a FEH admire the inspired effort of all those that created it.

It has been over 25 years since I have seen or talked to Phil, but I am sure he would agree that some of the inspiration we took into our adult lives arose from our experiences together as undergraduate mechanical engineering students. Through us, our universities leave a positive legacy in the world.

G. Bowler
Mechanical Engineering Class of 1982
Virginia Tech

Last edited by glennb; 04-23-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Feral Engineer
Default Re: Sources of Inspiration

The Ford culture tends to lionize certain politically savvy individuals, particularly on a successful project. The FEH is a great product due to the efforts of many dedicated engineers.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

From what I read, Mary Ann Wright has since left Ford after it became clear to her that Ford had lost all interest in hybrids. I guess her "pet" follow-on projects were all cancelled, and she felt she had no future as Director of Sustainable Mobility Technologies and Hybrid Vehicle Programs.

Mary Ann Wright has since joined Johnson Controls and will help GM develop a new generation of hybrid batteries.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Feral Engineer

True. Wright and Martens are both gone from Ford, for whatever reasons.