Hi Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 08:08 AM
Enthusiast
Default Hi Mileage

Hi All,

I am considering getting a Prius to replace my Corolla (which really does get 38 on the highway with me pulsing the AC, woo hoo!) because I do alot of commuting in the Detroit area and my Corolla is already at 182,000.

My biggest concern is that my commuter mileage is 450 per week (90 round X 5) and 2 times per month I visit home in Kentucky (800 round). In a nutshell, I drive over 3K a month easy. It makes sense to get a Hybrid but, I think this abuse would pumel it quickly. Has anybody out there used theirs this heavily and how is it standing up?

I may also pull a small aluminum fishing boat (just locally!) if feasable.

So, how about it? Any other mileage freaks out there?

Old 06-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Hi Mileage

You might look at some of the "prius fleet" reports. Just Google 'em up or use the message search results here.

Bottom line, no problem. If you'll keep the speeds low, towing a small boat won't be a problem.

Bob Wilson

Old 06-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have put 50,300 miles on my 2005 Prius since 10/07/05
(20 months) with absolutely no problems, hiccups, or worries. I
still have my original GY Integritys on it and will try
for 60000 before replacing them.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

Dude, buy a Prius, you won't regret it.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fusioncowboy
It makes sense to get a Hybrid but, I think this abuse would pumel it quickly. Has anybody out there used theirs this heavily and how is it standing up?
I'm not sure why you think a Hybrid is any different than any other vehicle for high mileage use.

Old 06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Prius taxi cabs in Vancouver and New York already have very high numbers on their odometers after several years of daily use.

Also many cities in many countries have used Prius in their fleets.

You should be able to search different forums for details.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Check out this blog and it's links. Here are a few items mentioned that should set your mind at ease

The total database covers about 200 Prius's (certainly not enough top prove anything) over this period. They were usually driven by one or two drivers each and all run past 100k miles, about half past 150k and a 23 past 200k miles. ... We have just over 200 in fleet service and after four years or so they are the most reliable vehicles in a fleet of thousands of vehicles, have the fewest non-scheduled shop visits and are the cheapest to keep on the road, year after year.

We just tore apart a Prius transmission with almost 200k miles on it from one of our cars, wrecked. It as no torque converter, no clutches, just a few gears. It looked like new inside. It has a sun gear, a ring gear, and a few planet gears and that's it. There has been a lot of talk about the Prius and we all wondered how reliable it would be. We pulled the pan off the engine and look at the bearings and they are like new. We looked inside the cylinders and everything there looks like new too.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:31 PM
Enthusiast

Speaking for my brother here, who doesn't read this group, and who also drives for work (~30k miles a year). He has a 2004 Prius. He's got 115,000 miles on his, and still going strong. No problems with the batteries or the engine. He drives mostly highway, and he averages around 46 mpg. His next car will almost certainly be a Prius, unless another even better hybrid comes along by then.

I've got a mere 30,000 miles on mine, but I love it. I do mostly city driving. Hope that helps!