Most efficient streets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Most efficient streets?

I've started noticing that some streets in my area seem to allow incredible gas mileage.

In the Austin TX area, there is a 5 or 10 mile section of a road called Parmer Lane (west of Loop 1). It's an "almost-highway" type road, with large spaces between stoplights, great viewing distances, pretty well-timed lights, and a 60 mph speed limit.

It seems to get me close to 60 mpg every time I drive it. I think the viewing distances allow me slower decelerations going up to red lights to better recharge the battery, as well as to keep as much momentum in the car as possible.

Anybody else have experience with a great mileage street in their area?

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Most efficient streets?

Originally Posted by fiver
I've started noticing that some streets in my area seem to allow incredible gas mileage.

In the Austin TX area, there is a 5 or 10 mile section of a road called Parmer Lane (west of Loop 1). It's an "almost-highway" type road, with large spaces between stoplights, great viewing distances, pretty well-timed lights, and a 60 mph speed limit.

It seems to get me close to 60 mpg every time I drive it. I think the viewing distances allow me slower decelerations going up to red lights to better recharge the battery, as well as to keep as much momentum in the car as possible.

Anybody else have experience with a great mileage street in their area?
What you are describing is called "route planning" and is a simple as looking at your daily commute on a map and choosing a 'best route' for the morning and evening drives. BTW, depending upon the topology, these may be different routes.

The general rules of thumb I follow are:
  • warm-up - low speeds of 25 mph until ICE and transmission are fully warmed up, about 1-1.5 miles distance
  • cross-town - modest speeds with 0-38 being best followed by 47-65. Avoid 38-47 since this can lead to more ICE start/stops for non-energy reasons.
  • coast-down - low speeds of 25 mph, 1.5-2 miles near the destination to maximize battery use at arrival.
  • Up steep slopes with shallow down slope - try to go up the slope as slow as the traffic will allow. Then use the longer down slope to achieve long, ICE off, electric motor powered sections at 38 mph or lower.
Don't worry if it takes a while to figure it out. You'll eventually get it:

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-19-2007 at 12:58 PM.