Gen 2 Replacement Tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Enthusiast
Default Gen 2 Replacement Tires

Good morning,

My 2004 has about 36K miles and the original tires are screaming that they need replaced.

I was wondering if anyone has experiences they would like to share. I've heard a LOT of good things about Michelin HydroEdge, but just cannot bring myself to buy a Michelin product. (2005 F1 race here in Indy, Michelin basically pulled all its teams off the race... bitter, bitter feelings here).

Sad to say, I haven't had a lot of experience buying tires, so have no clue what to look for.

Thanks in advance!
Lisa

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Gen 2 Replacement Tires

Originally Posted by IndyLisa
Good morning,

My 2004 has about 36K miles and the original tires are screaming that they need replaced.

I was wondering if anyone has experiences they would like to share. I've heard a LOT of good things about Michelin HydroEdge, but just cannot bring myself to buy a Michelin product. (2005 F1 race here in Indy, Michelin basically pulled all its teams off the race... bitter, bitter feelings here).

Sad to say, I haven't had a lot of experience buying tires, so have no clue what to look for.

Thanks in advance!
Lisa
Lisa,
If you don't like Michelin, Look for Nokian Model WR tires. They provide good traction (even in snow-ice) and have Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) so your gas mileage will still be good (most other tires will reduce your MPG a little).

JeffD

Old 06-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Engineering first

I found Sumitomo T4s at the Toyota Parts department for $45/each last fall. A low rolling resistance tire, it was an easy decision. However, the service department didn't mount the tires following the manufacturer's instructions. There are a series of paint dots that indicate where the valve stem should be to minimize the balancing weights. Also, I think they charged a little more than I wanted to pay.

My recommendation is to get the Consumer Reports annual tire report; check the low-rolling resistance tires out; and find a good internet price for them. Then go shopping and see what your local tire stores have or can do for you.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 06-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks, Bob and Jeff.

We have a tire store nearby who are wonderful to deal with, but I needed some recommendations to get them pointed in the right direction. I appreciate the info.

Lisa