Fuel Matters!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Fuel Matters!

Originally Posted by New 2006 Prius
livvie - westweb post #27 just checked in with a similar experience as me. I live in Arkansas, he lives in California and we don't know each other.

You know, you don't have to try this stuff since you're content with what you have. I'm trying to help people with what I've learned and I can't figure out why you're so against me. Mobil gas isn't Shell gas and the price of gasoline is essentially the same yet you discourage others to reject what I've learned.

Ive seen an increase in mpg with each tank of Shell I've used and you reject this. Westweb saw the same. I didn't see any difference between Phillips and the other brands I tried. So much for your Mobil and Haffner's fuel.

Shell gas has increased my 2006 Prius mpg, period. I don't know why but it has made a significant difference in fuel economy.

If you're not going to help or participate then why don't you just sit this one out and see what develops instead of complaining about things you have no knowledge of and don't care to participate in?
Where do you see any complaint? I don't get it.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by New 2006 Prius
livvie,

Two people have said their Priuses have seen better fuel mileage with Shell gas. Other fuels may be good too. I cannot comprehend why you have a problem with this.

I started this thread on March 28. I’ve shared something I've found unique with one fuel as compared to others I've used with my Prius. I have asked for help from other interested people to validate what I’ve found and compare findings and you are only interested in bickering.

You have made your statements now please leave.
Leave? Where is all this coming from? This isn't kindergarten. Validating a point requires data from more than one source, you do agree with that right?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPL
Fellows, this nastiness isn't productive.
But it's pretty entertaining. Almost as good as WWF.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JimboK
But it's pretty entertaining. Almost as good as WWF.

It sure is. I didn’t intend for this thread to be entertaining in this way. I've looked back through my posts on this thread and cannot see anything provocative or misleading.

I wrote this in post 9 "I am interested in learning what fuels other hybrid drivers are using consistently and what their average mpgs are. If you are getting below what you expect then switch to a different name brand gas and run several tanks of the same brand through. See what happens - all you can save is money. "

I don't see anything wrong with my statement or my request. Shell certainly works for me and some others and yes, I want others to know because it might work for someone else. bwilson4web is conducting his own trials on just what I asked. The reader can wait on his results or try it for themselves.

I’m not trying to be nasty – I feel I’ve been very civil with livvie. I want to preserve the intent of the thread which is identifying what fuels work best for hybrids. I'm tired of entertaining so I’ll stop interacting with him. Actually there’s nothing left that I need to share.

I've reported the problem and now I'm going to let the thread work its course.

Last edited by New 2006 Prius; 04-06-2007 at 06:54 AM.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Hm thanks for drawing attention to this thread, I'll try 2 tanks with Shell gas specifically and see what I end up with. Interestingly Shell is very hard to find around here so the data will be significant in the fact that I have NEVER filled up on Shell before.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:49 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoopahMan
Hm thanks for drawing attention to this thread, I'll try 2 tanks with Shell gas specifically and see what I end up with. Interestingly Shell is very hard to find around here so the data will be significant in the fact that I have NEVER filled up on Shell before.
Thanks for responding.

I hope Shell works for you as it has for me. Please post what your results are (plus or minus) on this thread. I am curious what other Prius owners learn and know about the fuels they use. If some fuels work better than others perhaps they can be identified here and we'll all gain.

I don't care for the off-brands for the reasons I stated but I only know what I've been told by knowledgeable people. I figure what is true in the south applies elsewhere but I'm not an expert. If someone wants to list their off-brands that's good too.

Ray

Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 AM
Engineering first

Remember when testing different fuels to record the cost. We need to know not only the MPG but also the $/mile. To help 'normalize' the $/mile, I'll record all test station prices at the beginning and end of the test. This will make it easier to factor out the changes in fuel prices.

I usually burn about 5 gallons per week in normal commuting and a couple of gallons on the weekend. I still have half a tank so I won't be starting my testing until next week. Unfortunately, this means I'll have to suspend my normal fuel recording practices or just note that I'm using MFD values.

Also, remember it is not enough to get one significant result. You'll need to switch back to your baseline to make sure the effect is real. Most of all, don't be in a hurry to report results. Accuracy is more important followed by independent confirmation.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-06-2007 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Also, remember it is not enough to get one significant result. You'll need to switch back to your baseline to make sure the effect is real. Most of all, don't be in a hurry to report results. Accuracy is more important followed by independent confirmation.

Bob Wilson
Very true, Bob. Thanks for being a voice of reason, as usual.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Engineering first

Hi,

It is important to design a test before performing it. So this evening, I worked out the following protocol:
  1. fill 1 gal. pony can with test brand
  2. run until out of gas - NOTE: "blinking" low gas warning should be used if you don't have a scannner to reset the error codes.
  3. dump pony can into tank
  4. drive to test gas station and add test gas, 5 gallons in my case
  5. drive to next gas, test, retailer and fill pony can
I will also gain a lot of experience dealing with running out of gas and see what 'lessons learned' show up. I'm aware of the fuel pump, cooling risk, but can afford to deal with this risk. Others should probably stop at the "blinking" low fuel light and use the pony can before running out.

I'll also start asking the gas station owners about where their gas comes from and the wholesalers. I'll also see if I can Google up the Gulf coast refineries. There is a good chance we're burning Gulf and S. American crude oil in our Alabama vehicles.

I just wish there were a pyrometer technique that would give us the fuel energy density quickly. I'm thinking of a unit that would use a small O(2) source and less than half a teaspoon of gas to make a controlled flame. The temperature of that flame in a burn should be proportional to the energy density.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 04-06-2007 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:11 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

One more thing -

Recently I filled my tank up with over 9 gallons, when before I could never get more than 8 in it. I immediately assumed this was entirely due to the fuel bladder but there may be more to it.

On that occasion I began by pressing the trigger on the pump, at which point the display immediately began counting gallons pumped - but then a short while later I felt a *bump* at the end of the nozzle in my hand. I suspect this was fuel making it to the nozzle.

Since the gas counter begins as soon as you press the trigger and stops only when you release it, if there is in fact lead time to wait for gas to make it through the line, to the nozzle, then the gas counter on the pump is fundamentally innaccurate. I don't know if there is a government organization that checks this, but it seems flawed regardless.

Point being if there is this fuzziness inherent in filling up based on data read off the pump directly then perhaps Shell's seeming advantage has nothing to do with gas makeup and everything to do with fuzzy math leaning more in your favor than the fuzzy math of competitors.

Quick Reply: Fuel Matters!

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands