Fitting 20" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned
Default Fitting 20" wheels

I want 20" wheels to impress thee ladies. What do I have to do to fit them? Or will they fit like it is? Help me with my game.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 AM
Engineering first
Default Re: Fitting 20" wheels

There are risks so what I'd suggest is get just a single, 20" wheel and tire (cheap) and check the fit in the front and the back. Don't drive around with it, just check to see if it will fit and there is enough clearance to allow you to pass over bumps. If it checks out on the lift, then go ahead but 'all bets are off' on any Toyota support for problems. Use the 'cheapie' as your full-size spare and check that it fits in the trunk tire well.

BTW, greater ground clearance will also lead to more air passing under the car and under-body drag. It will also 'raise the seat' by half of the increased diameter. For my wife, the seat height was important but your ladies may have 'a different suspension.' <grins>

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Old 01-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Banned

Thanx Bob. I'll slap on a bodykit to reduce some of the ground clearance gained. Has anyone ever seen 20's on a Prius?

Old 01-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

Capt, have you looked into low resistance tires first? Those 20"ers might sacrifice some gas mileage!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 AM
Banned

I'm not worried about gas mileage, just tha ladies, my buddies get all the females with their pimped rides. I get a discount on gas from working at Wal-Mart anyways.

Old 01-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

You're kidding, right?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

All my friends have 20's or bigger rims on their rides, I gotta have 'em too. Are you saying it's not possible?

Old 01-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Fitting 20" wheels

Originally Posted by CaptainPicard
All my friends have 20's or bigger rims on their rides, I gotta have 'em too. Are you saying it's not possible?
The only example of larger wheels I've heard about are:
  1. Speed record Prius - used larger wheels to exceed the built in, speed limit. However, they reported having to cut-out the wheel wells to make room and other 'ugly' suspension changes. Use Google to find a description of the changes.
  2. Touring Prius - uses a slightly larger wheel, 17 in (?), versus the 16 in wheels. My understanding is it gets lower MPG, not a lot, but somewhat. This may not be due to the wheel size change.
Personally, I think air dams and side skirts with under-body lights would make it an awesome and efficient ride. Then put on moon-cap wheel covers and you've made another statement (most folks use plain aluminum but tire rubber black would be a subtle twist.) Finally, enclosing the rear wheel well with a seamless, body color matching cover and putting in electric seats and your ride would be 'pimped out' proper.

Some of these you can buy but some would have to be made. That would make your car unique, a one of a kind. Then get the EV mode switch and you can go EV anytime you want and 'sneak up' on your homies. <grins>

Best of all, these changes not only make a statement but they also make your ride more comfortable and efficient.

Bob Wilson

Old 01-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Banned

Thanx Bob, but hubcaps and wheelwell covers will make me look like a dork. Now the body kit and neons are what I'm talkin about! So I guess 17" chrome wheels are the safest bet for me.

Old 01-17-2007, 10:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's sounding much more sensible! Are you seeing any other interesting modifications out there? I think one of the body kits (& a nice paint job) will make the most dramatic statement!

Quick Reply: Fitting 20" wheels

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands