First Tank

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default First Tank

Hi Folks,

Well, I finished my first tank of gas in my new '06 Prius. Interestingly the gauge on the MFD showed 48.3 but the calculated was 50.4. I never had that happen in my old '03 HCH. Has anyone else seen this on the Prius?

Brian

Old 03-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First Tank

This phenomenon is quite common and has been discussed in depth and various Prius forums. It may have something to do with the bladder in the Prius fuel tank not fully expanding during fill up.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Prii (Priuses?) are unique in that the fuel is actually contained within a bladder that expands and collapses to match the fuel volume. That means that your fillups won't be as consistent as with other vehicles. If you want to calculate actual fuel economy it is necessary to average over several tanks, the more the better.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IndyDoug
This phenomenon is quite common and has been discussed in depth and various Prius forums. It may have something to do with the bladder in the Prius fuel tank not fully expanding during fill up.
Thanks Doug, i'm glad to know that it isn't unusual.

I am impressed at mileage after one tank. I didn't think it would get so high so fast.

Old 03-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Engineering first
Thumbs up Re: First Tank

Hi Doug,

Originally Posted by IndyDoug
I modified the draft FAQ with:

1) section subtitled (for new owners)
2) added some stuff about fuel tank
3) added some stuff about brakes, oil changes and tires

Feel free to make suggestions on any changes. I'm just the self-appointed, recording secretary.

My thinking is if the FAQ addresses 'newbie' questions, it will be a good thing.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brick
Prii (Priuses?) are unique in that the fuel is actually contained within a bladder that expands and collapses to match the fuel volume. That means that your fillups won't be as consistent as with other vehicles. If you want to calculate actual fuel economy it is necessary to average over several tanks, the more the better.
From Wikipedia.
Plural form of Prius

What's the plural of Prius?

There were a lot of debate on this issue on some Prius forums. Some argued the word should be treated as a Latin word. Some said that Toyota uses this word as a Japanese word, hence there is no difference between singular and plural (Japanese language does not use plural forms). I don't remember what the final result of the debate was. It is up to you to question the authority of Toyota on this matter.

FWIW, Prii is a pseudo-Latin fabrication. The real plural of the latin word Prius is Priora. (Prius is the neuter form of Prior, which means much the same in Latin as in English, but can function as adjective, adverb or noun). I'd say the invariant plural Prius, or just Priuses are defensible. Priora is cumbersome, and wouldn't be recognised as a plural by your average English speaker. Prii is a bit silly.

As for Toyota's authority — I've never seen them use a plural of Prius in any of their literature, so I'm not sure we'll get an answer from them. Probably because marketing types seem to have a morbid fear of plurals; they keep talking about "product" and such-like. Toyota generally just talk about "the Prius". I suspect their internal style guide rules against pluralising any of their vehicle names. And I'd tend to agree with them — it's clumsy. Try to rephrase, or use "the Prius".

I don't have a referential link handy right this second, but I recall seeing a link to a Toyota rep saying the plural form of Prius is 'Prius'

Old 03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

E.G., "I saw a gaggle of Prius driving south for the winter....."

Old 03-17-2006, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ender21
E.G., "I saw a gaggle of Prius driving south for the winter....."

LOL

My fave is "a murder of crows".