Falling Gas Prices - Are we about to be mocked?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Engineering first
Talking Re: Falling Gas Prices - Are we about to be mocked?

Originally Posted by curtissac
. . .
I am not bitter. I am a bit embarrased. I have learned a lot about my car by participating in hybrid related forums. But I told my wife just last night that I was quickly growing tired of all the holier than thou attitude that seems so pervasive here and in other forums.
. . .
Actually, the only thing I don't care for are non-engineering based claims or PowerPoint engineering. As long as we work from the facts and data and parts that really are in service, I'm a happy camper. Just I have a hard time with claims that can not be independently verified, are misleading, one-of-a-kind, or reports of greater than 100% efficiency.

Also, don't confuse an emphatic defense of our vehicle choices as a 'holier than thou attiiitude.' We have had enough exposure to skeptics who delight in denigrading our choices and are quite willing to use less than honest arguments. A reply with the facts and data is only as 'holy' as the love of truth.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 09-27-2006 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Falling Gas Prices - Are we about to be mocked?

Friggin American car companies make improvements on their own (didn't need laws to make them do it), and all I see among the "Prilitist" crowd is complaining about it.
They're lobbying for laws for it... that's what this thread is about... . Lobbying is expensive. When they spend that money on research instead of lobbying I'll applaud them.

I am not concerned about an oversized alternator in an Esaclade diluting the "hybrid" name.
To be clear, the concern isn't that we Prius owners will somehow be made "less cool" by the word "hybrid" being dilluted, which seems to be your inference - rather the concern is that hybrids already have confusion around them, and a low-MPG hybrid could make it worse. You mentioned that you're happy you've lowered your own emissions, so clearly you have interest in reducing pollution. Doing your part by buying a car like the Prius or Civic Hybrid helps, but really, eliminating the confusion about what helps the planet and what's labelled "Hybrid," but adds almost no environmental benefit, will have a bigger impact overall. That's why it's important.

I don't want to be driving down the freeway and have people look at me and think, "There goes another one of those hybrid owners that thinks his $h!+ doesn't stink." And why wouldn't they?
This appears to be your main concern. You seem to consider my comments as contributing to this stigma. First, I don't care what others drive, I simply care that environmental options are incentivized and environmentally harmful options are at least not rewarded. Second, by driving a Prius you're going to be stigmatized no matter what I say - because of the confusion around hybrids in the US (ah great a slow Prius in my way again), and because people imply exactly that "holier than thou" attitude because you bought something that's environmentally friendly.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Enthusiast

Since I have been shopping for Prius the last two months, I noticed Toyota sales people (in SoCal and NoCal) far more aggressive this month (than July-August), calling me back and following up. They also have gotten a lot of back-out's (I tried 10+ dealers and all have back-out's), probably because people think cheap gas is here to stay.

While our government (regardless of parties) does not admit to controlling gas prices, they could easily affect the prices by amount of petroleum they put into strategic reserves (or take out). This is just like mortgage/prime rates; even though it seems like a free market, the government really is the dealer and customer.

Old 09-27-2006, 01:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The problem with the "manipulation" of the reserves is that they are there "as an emergency" reserve. Using it to try to maintain a tiny bit of control is not sensible.

God fobid, but what if we have two or three Gulf hurricanes in one season? Those reserves are the last resort ace in the hole so to speak.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast

Lars, you are right about strategic reserves as a Rainy/Windy/Cold/Disaster day fund, except the President/Congress (again, regardless of parties) get to define what an emergency is, not us. So how can they claim innocence over gas prices??????

I am happy gas is cheaper today (I still got a SUV and minivan to fee), but I bet US carmakers, airlines, utility companies, truckers are loving it even more. And if they all think like Southwest Airlines, they should be buying fuel futures like crazy now. So I suspect this will lead to another price hike, conveniently, after the election, and winter, OPEC, speculators, China, Ruassia, Chavez, ....... will all be blamed again.

Another round of hybrid-hating will start again.