WHOA.. HCH2 mpg is falling

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 10:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default WHOA.. HCH2 mpg is falling

Hey guys, we need to start teaching the new HCH2 owners how to drive their cars. Our avg mpg is falling below 45 mpg!!!

Old 02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: WHOA.. HCH2 mpg is falling

Speaking of which, do you know of any resources on this site or elsewhere that may provide some driving techniques that help maximize the mpg of the HCH2 (aside from obvious things such as avoiding jackrabbit starts, etc)?

Thanks!

Old 02-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Enthusiast

Of course I now just found one

https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...fficiency.html

Old 02-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

The other thing that could be causing the drop is that some of us new members just don't drive long commutes to work. I just bought mine last night and haven't had any time to "learn" it yet - but my commute is under 3 miles - I am going to be bringing down the averages I suspect. The engine won't even get warm before I get to work most days. Hopefully the weekend highway trips will keep my mileage above 40!

Eric

Old 02-08-2006, 11:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chesleyn
Hey guys, we need to start teaching the new HCH2 owners how to drive their cars. Our avg mpg is falling below 45 mpg!!!
I think this forum could benefit from a catchall thread for high mpg driving techniques, so we can find them all in one place. It would also be helpful if it was a “sticky” so that new HCH drivers can find it and minimize the number of redundant questions. And hopefully lots of hypermilers will contribute. They could just include a link to previous posts they've done—so we avoid laborious repetition. Even motherhood tips like "drive as if you had no brake pedal" could be enlightening to someone used to driving a gas hog.

Hope a moderator or someone will consider this.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...?page=14&pp=10

If you haven't read this post yet, please do. I also think the info I received from Kenny of driving like you have no brakes will assist in higher mpg.

I have a 35 mile commute each way. I've learned to take sidestreets which give me the best mpg as well.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast

So this is my first post and I am wondering if there are any posts about low mile commute trips. Like the poster above, I have a 5 mile commute, my MPG gets killed, esp, today when there was an accident on the freeway and I got 21 mpg. I guess still better if I had no hybrid, but not very encouraging. I have had my car for about 3 weeks now, the best tank I have gotten is 40 mpg.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

Originally Posted by rekhihs
So this is my first post and I am wondering if there are any posts about low mile commute trips. Like the poster above, I have a 5 mile commute, my MPG gets killed, esp, today when there was an accident on the freeway and I got 21 mpg. I guess still better if I had no hybrid, but not very encouraging. I have had my car for about 3 weeks now, the best tank I have gotten is 40 mpg.

You're probably not going to see a lot of hi-MPG days during those 5 mile commutes (especially in the winter) because they Hybrid system isn't all up and running with autostop, etc., until the car has reached operating temperature. That means you'll do better in the summer than in the winter because the car is already "warmed up" when you get in it and crank up.

Old 02-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

I'll do my part to keep the mpg high 70 mile commute each way, 140 miles a day or 700 miles a week. I'll make it up to the guys driving lower commutes.

Avg. 52 mpg over 5500 miles

Old 02-08-2006, 05:15 PM
G.H. Contributor
Exclamation Re: WHOA.. HCH2 mpg is falling

Originally Posted by rekhihs
Hi rekhihs;

Welcome to GreenHybrid The friendly Forum:

For what it is worth the one topic that has been Discussed Over and Over and Over on this Site is {FE}.

If you all want Professional Advice on getting FE, Send a PM to: xcel,

Or ask xcel to Post his Reply here for everyone to Read:

Believe me you will not even believe the Information you will receive after the PM is sent to him.

HTH;

Terry

Last edited by tigerhonaker; 02-08-2006 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Added Comment:

Quick Reply: WHOA.. HCH2 mpg is falling

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands