EBAY-Larry David RIPOFF PRIUS-$31500!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 05:11 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default EBAY-Larry David RIPOFF PRIUS-$31500!!

There is currently a "new" Prius on Ebay that I suspect is a RIPOFF. It is labeled as a 2006 Larry David Prius ( HBO curb your enthusiasm-drives a Prius on the show).
Why do I think it might be a RIPOFF.
1)The seller has NO TRANSACTIONS.
2)The price is at $31500 already for a 2006 PK 8 with a Plaque "signed by Larry David" "You will get your choice of interiors."
3)They claim that the Prius was donated by Toyota to some environmental organization that is auctioning it off.
4)It "isn't built yet, so that the person who wins it can choose their own color, and Toyota will build it in that color." This sounds like BS.If a big corp gives a $28000 item away, they just give it as is.
5)The posting implied that Toyota was doing this because they "want to prevent global warming-were moved by Al Gore's recent movie."I don't think Toyota would involve itself in a political issue like this.

Anyone else seen this? The no transactions,high price, claim Toyota would build to suit buyer(to explain why they don't actually have a car). and the political aspect that most corps steer clear of, just don't ring true.
Anyone else seen this BS auction?Thanks,Charlie
PS Forgive spelling,punct,syntax etc.Just finished a 1500 mile, 28.5 hour drive from Flagstaff,AZ to New Orleans(Honda Pilot-21.9 mpg at 75 mph-slept in car with AC on for 2 hours-wasted 1 gallon).Dead tired

Old 06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: EBAY-Larry David RIPOFF PRIUS-$31500!!

Larry and his wife have given away at least one Prius, in the past. They're both big environmentalists. However, this looks fake to me, as well. Report it to eBay.

Old 06-11-2006, 07:50 PM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS
Default Re: EBAY-Reported

Foo Monkey-yes,the claim on this one is that Toyota is giving it away for the "An inconvenient Truth" Charity Auction.No chance Toyota would lend its name to a political organization.
I reported it to Ebay,but I don't have high hopes.
There is a lot of bidding on it by folks with losts of transactions.I would bet I could find a connection between some of the bidders(buying from one another), if I looked hard. It is hard to believe that anyone would be stupid enough to bid $31300 on an item someone with Zero feedback/trans is "selling. "
PT was right! Thanks,Charlie