NYS Tax Credit Ripoff

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:32 AM
Enthusiast
Default NYS Tax Credit Ripoff

This discussion was started in another forum on greenhybrid.com but I wanted to let everyone who purchased a 2005 HCH-I in 2005 that we are getting the shaft. We bought a 2005 HCH-I in late May-early June 2005. Here's the story:

I was doing my taxes last weekend, when I noticed apparently there is no tax credit for NY State in 2005 anymore. Here's the deal, though, I called the NYS IRS office 5 times in 2005... twice in March and 3 times in May before we made our purchase in late May-early June. I asked 5 different NYS IRS people.... "Has this $2000 credit expired? Will this be in effect for all of 2005?" Each time I was told, Yes it is in effect. I even had my tax lady call herself, which means that we were told 6 times that the tax credit was in affect after it had actually expired. I am considering contacting elected officials to complain about the mis-information and see if they are considering the retro-active to 2005 vehicles.

Old 02-10-2006, 07:23 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: NYS Tax Credit Ripoff

What I've heard is the tax credit only applies to hybrids bought in 2006. Pre-06 purchases get a deduction.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:00 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Are you referring to a special New York tax credit? Because at the federal level, there was never a tax credit from 2002-2005, only a tax deduction.

You may want to clarify that you are not speaking about the federal tax breaks, so that people don't respond assuming you meant the federal tax deduction that existed up until 2005, and which was replaced by the tax credit in 2006.

Old 02-10-2006, 02:15 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

Originally Posted by wxhall
This discussion was started in another forum on greenhybrid.com but I wanted to let everyone who purchased a 2005 HCH-I in 2005 that we are getting the shaft. We bought a 2005 HCH-I in late May-early June 2005. Here's the story:

I was doing my taxes last weekend, when I noticed apparently there is no tax credit for NY State in 2005 anymore. Here's the deal, though, I called the NYS IRS office 5 times in 2005... twice in March and 3 times in May before we made our purchase in late May-early June. I asked 5 different NYS IRS people.... "Has this $2000 credit expired? Will this be in effect for all of 2005?" Each time I was told, Yes it is in effect. I even had my tax lady call herself, which means that we were told 6 times that the tax credit was in affect after it had actually expired. I am considering contacting elected officials to complain about the mis-information and see if they are considering the retro-active to 2005 vehicles.

Wxhall,
I had read about a month ago that Gov. Patacki had signed a bill for a NYS Tax Credit for hybrids purchased in 2006. When I called the NYS DMV to ask about a form etc - the supervisor said it has not been signed into law yet. The article had said a NEW tax CREDIT for 2006 and was $2,000. I'm not sure about previous tax incentives. I'm still lookin'. Please post further developments.
Good luck !

Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 AM
blahhhhhh!

is there still a tax break (credit, deduction, whatever) for 2007?? I've looked around on the NYS tax website but I haven't found anything (shocking, i know) and now after reading this I'm hesitant to ask anyone.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

KTLane,

We got $2090 off our federal tax our '06 HCH. There was nothing from NY state. We did get the "Green" EZ Pass - an etra 5% off the NYS Thruway tolls. For your car the federal tax deduction depends on the total # of hybrids that Honda has sold. The last I heard you should be elligible for at least 1/2 of the rebate. I hope this helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:59 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by Donald
KTLane,

We got $2090 off our federal tax our '06 HCH. There was nothing from NY state. We did get the "Green" EZ Pass - an etra 5% off the NYS Thruway tolls. For your car the federal tax deduction depends on the total # of hybrids that Honda has sold. The last I heard you should be elligible for at least 1/2 of the rebate. I hope this helps.
Agh, I got a Toyota after the cutoff date for rebates. I don't know why NY doesn't offer a tax incentive??? Also, I don't use EZ Pass, so blehhhh

I (do not) LOVE NY!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by KTLane
Agh, I got a Toyota after the cutoff date for rebates. I don't know why NY doesn't offer a tax incentive??? Also, I don't use EZ Pass, so blehhhh

I (do not) LOVE NY!
Sorry you missed out on the tax credit for 2007. I just barely got the $650 credit buy purchasing in August before the 30 september 2007 deadline. That was the end of Hybrid tax credits for Toyota.............they have already sold 60,000 of them. Some of the other cars still have up to $3000 tax credit. (Ford) I'm happy with my TCH and the $650........even though it's not much.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM

Kate........as a fromer NY resident for 20 years, i can relate. I am not sure i could deal with living there anymore........i haven't been living there since 1983. NY state taxes are high, no doubt.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:57 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by CJO2007CamryHyb
Kate........as a fromer NY resident for 20 years, i can relate. I am not sure i could deal with living there anymore........i haven't been living there since 1983. NY state taxes are high, no doubt.
you moved out the year I was born!!!

I've been wanting to move south for the past like, 8 years probably... but i haven't been able to find a job down there. Taxes up here are ridiculous! Gas is almost $3.50... And people at work question why I traded in my 6 month old Envoy for a hybrid... uh, DUH.

I don't really care that I missed out on the tax credit completely, I love my car anyway