driving through flooded streets

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast
Question driving through flooded streets

I've seen this issue discussed on the Honda Civic site, and as a general issue, but I haven't seen anything specific to the Prius. Anyone out there with experience with the Prius and street flooding? With my current vehicle, I mostly worry about getting my brakes wet, but I know how to cope with that.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: driving through flooded streets

Common sense should apply. The electronics (in any vehicle), are not waterproof. To much water can even take out a tractor.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:30 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: driving through flooded streets

Originally Posted by smoke
I've seen this issue discussed on the Honda Civic site, and as a general issue, but I haven't seen anything specific to the Prius. Anyone out there with experience with the Prius and street flooding? With my current vehicle, I mostly worry about getting my brakes wet, but I know how to cope with that.
No experience but I can offer some points we know about.

1) High voltage power cables are armor shielded, double coated with plastic and normally protected in a cable tray from the rear, under the car to the front. Exposure to water is not a problem to undamaged cables BUT

2) Prius has a low slung body and can easily scrape bottom, especially when driving through water that hides the ruts, potholes and missing roadway BUT

3) the ground-fault interruption circuit is very effective and will open the three safety relays in the battery assembly. Furthermore, the batteries are enclosed in a well grounded, metal case

4) dunking it in saltwater should only result in heat, steam and gasses

Personally, I would have two people walking in front of the tires to feel out the roadway. As long as the car doesn't 'scrape bottom', no problem but it really isn't designed to 'wade through the water.'

Bob Wilson