Cleaning Exterior Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 12:47 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Cleaning Exterior Techniques

Originally Posted by javawebgrrl
Has anyone tried driving through one of those drive-thru car washes? I am worried about the antennae. Any suggestions ?
I had a friend that went through one of those car washes that touches the car , what he did not know was the car before him had its attenna riped off and it was tangled in the fabric it caused alot of scratches that he had to pay half for as the wash owner split the detailing fees.

The touchless car washes can blow/peel the paint right off of a car if the nozzle pessure is to great. I saw that happen to a ford mini van ...

After that I either take mine to a business that wash & details cars that has the liability inurance (and they remove the anttenna before washing) or wash it myself it only takes 20 mins.

I hope that helps,

Old 01-24-2006, 06:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PriusGuy04
I beg to differ:

I did that on my 99 tacoma the special car wash soap and waxed with a carnuba wax every 5 months. for 3yrs. I started to notice stains from the oak trees popping up on the paint and the paint was losing some of its luster....

I went to my local Toyota Dealer's paint and body shop and asked the mgr. what I could do ref the stains. I then told him I had been informed by a car detailer that I needed to use one of those soaps you get from the part stores like turtle wax car soap.

He started to laugh and stated that that was a wives tale and that I could use any mild dish soap on my car and it wouldn't hurt the
finnish
but that no matter what you wash the car with you need to wax the car regularly with a quality wax to protect the
finnish

As for the bra, it keeps the bugs & rocks from damaging your paint and in some cases looks cool just put a coat of wax on the front and slap the bra on there. Be sure to remove it when you detail the car plus you can wash it too...

I use a mild dish soap on my 04 and wax with carnuba , no fade / no cracking & I park in the shade..

P.S. you can also use WD-40 on your rocker panels to remove raod tar and it will not harm the clear coat..
Ok. so I guess all the information on this subject is false because you say so. Just search the net and you find information upon information that dish detergents are NOT the way to go.

As for the bra, do you have one, wait a few years then look underneath and you will see what I mean. If you want to get a bra get the 3M clear bra. It looks good, does a very good job of protecting paint form chipping, and the paint will fade with the rest of the car.

Also, i mentioned that using dish soap is OK if you are going to clay the car, meaning that you are going to WAX it immediately afterwords. Waxing the car gives your paint back the oils it needs to remain looking good. As for teflon based wax, I would also avoid using them. They don't do nearly as good of a job as the real stuff or the new polishes that are out there.

Last edited by livvie; 01-24-2006 at 07:01 AM.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by livvie
Ok. so I guess all the information on this subject is false because you say so. Just search the net and you find information upon information that dish detergents are NOT the way to go.

As for the bra, do you have one, wait a few years then look underneath and you will see what I mean. If you want to get a bra get the 3M clear bra. It looks good, does a very good job of protecting paint form chipping, and the paint will fade with the rest of the car.

Also, i mentioned that using dish soap is OK if you are going to clay the car, meaning that you are going to WAX it immediately afterwords. Waxing the car gives your paint back the oils it needs to remain looking good. As for teflon based wax, I would also avoid using them. They don't do nearly as good of a job as the real stuff or the new polishes that are out there.

Its ok, I did not post here to get anyones underware wadded up..
I was just stating what the dealer said to me..

Im sure there are lots of people that use a mild dish soap to wash thier cars. To say it harms your paint or would cause it to crack and stuff is also a good marketing statement to sell a a certain product!

I have never had any probelms using the dish soap on my cars finnish.
And I wax it every 5-6 months.

LOL, dont take my word for it just because I said it, do what you want and follow the information. all I have done is pass on what I & others do if it's wrong then we'll have to eat the bill when the paint cracks..

You have to admit it is a good marketing statement:
" If you use dish soap it will dry out and hurt your paints finnish"

Im cool with it, I just stated my opinion thats what we do here..

Peace

Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I guess if you plan on keeping your car for a short time, you will not see the long term effects of dish detergent (but if you follow it up with a carnuba wax application, then no harm done). I agree it's a great marketing campaign but the people that are saying it aren't the marketers of the product, it's the car enthusiast. Anyway, my last car I kept for 11 years and the paint looked as good as the day that i bought it. Nobody would believe me when I told them it was a 1994 model year.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 PM

LOL, Be fore the 99 toyota I had a 87 ford that I purchased in 88 and washied it the same way but only waxed once a year with that NU-Vynl wax & detailed with the tire wet on the plastic. no one could believe it was an 87' traded it in for the 99 toy.

Im not going to argue the topic we have both stated what we have heard & expirienced.

Its all good, just don't wash a car with TIDE, BLEACH or SIMPLY GREEN or you can kiss the finnish good by.