Anyone willing to try this test?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Anyone willing to try this test?

Prius owners,

Many of the articles I have read talk about the inability to shut off the car or shift to "N" during this sudden acceleration problem.

Many of them also claim that the cruise control is activated.

Has anyone ever tried to shift to "N" when the cruise control is activated?

Is anyone willing to give it a try?

I'm just curious if shifting to N is possible with the cruise activated and if so, does shifting to N deactivate the cruise.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Engineering Professor
Default Re: Anyone willing to try this test?

Actually the best thing to do in a Prius is to step on the brake as this overrides the accelerator (and disables the CC). I'll see if going to neutral disables CC next time I am driving my 2004 Prius.

JeffD

Old 02-08-2010, 02:39 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 08FEH
Prius owners,

Many of the articles I have read talk about the inability to shut off the car or shift to "N" during this sudden acceleration problem.

Many of them also claim that the cruise control is activated.

Has anyone ever tried to shift to "N" when the cruise control is activated?

Is anyone willing to give it a try?

I'm just curious if shifting to N is possible with the cruise activated and if so, does shifting to N deactivate the cruise.
What "sudden acceleration" problem? No Priuses have been recalled for sticky accelerator pedals nor have any Japanese made Toyotas/Lexuses.

I've tried all 3 things as shown at http://lusciousgarage.com/blog/comme..._investigates/ in my 06 Prius but at lower speeds (below 45 mph).

I'll give shifting to N w/CC on when I get a chance.

Stepping on the brake sure doesn't override the throttle at all on my 06 (which is a 2nd gen, which covers model years 04-09). The Prius is the LG videos is an must be between the 06 and 09 model year range judging by the LCD and dash plastic texture. (Newer higher res MFD w/updated graphics and different dash texture started on 06 model year.)

As I posted at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post7750985 (you'll need an account there to view the thread)):
There doesn't seem to be a throttle lockout/smart throttle. The car stopped very quickly but I can see the gas engine RPMs via ScanGauge and I monitor BTA (HV battery amps showing charge or dicharge). When floored and you slam on the brakes, the RPMs did drop but not to 0. I saw BTA at 106 amps of draw, so it was certainly not cutting the throttle. (The HV battery pack is typically in the 220+ volt range. Typical draw if idling w/the gas engine off, AC off and headlights off is 1.x-2.x amps.)

Once I was nearly stopped, engine RPMs were in the 2000-3500 rpm range and you could hear it fighting the brakes.

For kicks, while stopped (and in Drive), I kept the brake down and pressed the accelerator. The gas engine revved up and I observed the "force charging" of the HV battery, showing 44+ amps of charge.

Pushing and holding power was interesting as the dashboard lights went out other than the shift indicator (like in the video) and power steering was definitely lost (became much heavier). Brakes worked fine. (Power steering on the Prius is electric and not off any belt.)

Side note: On ScanGauge, the sign of BTA is the opposite of what I'd like and what makes sense to me. When one is draining from the HV battery, the values are positive. When one is charging the HV battery like via regen, the sign is negative. The signs should be flipped IMHO.
The 3rd gen (2010) aka ZVW30 Prius also doesn't seem to have a smart throttle. Bwilson4web used the brakes and accelerator at the same time on his ZVW30 and put up a video (which I can't find). There was definitely some ICE surging while it was fighting the brakes.

Last edited by cwerdna; 02-08-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
Engineering Professor

Originally Posted by jdenenberg
I'll see if going to neutral disables CC next time I am driving my 2004 Prius.

JeffD
OK I tested going into neutral while in cruise control several times at 40 and 60 MPH. Every time CC was disabled, my car (a 2004 Prius) went into neutral and the ICE went to idle.

JeffD

Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 PM
Enthusiast

According to the wiring manual, there are 4 conditions that will cancel cruise control -
1- the stop switch is activated (ie the brake lights come on by pressing the brake)
2- the cruise CANCEL switch is pressed
3- the cruise on/off is moved to OFF
4- the shift selector is moved from D to any other position

Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BiggieJohn
According to the wiring manual, there are 4 conditions that will cancel cruise control -
1- the stop switch is activated (ie the brake lights come on by pressing the brake)
2- the cruise CANCEL switch is pressed
3- the cruise on/off is moved to OFF
4- the shift selector is moved from D to any other position
There are at least 2 more.

5- The road speed falling below ~35MPH.
6- The road speed falling more than ~5MPH below the CC set speed.

And maybe the following:

7- The road speed rising more than ~5MPH above the set speed.
8- TC activation.
9- VSC activation.
10- OAT below ~35F

IMMHO 8, 9 and 10 should be REQUIRED.

I wonder...

In an airplane many of the functions that a pilot would not want to inadvertently or casually activate have "guards" over the control switches. The guard must be removed, flipped aside, in order to activate the function.

Couldn't something like that be used to prevent unintentional SUA events..?? In this case if I wish to go WOT, or even dramatically increase the throttle opening, I must first move the "guard" aside..

With a manual transmission the driver would almost always downshift before going WOT or even going to a higher acceleration rate. So why not have a simple PB, Push-Button, control that must be depressed just momentarily prior to applying a substantial level of additional pressure to the accelerator pedal.

With these new sequential shifting automatic transmissions a quick, momentary downshift signal could be used to "arm" the WOT capability.

Along those same lines, thoughts, why not prevent cruise control from accelerating beyond a sensible road speed, say 65-70MPH, without the driver having first released CC "accel" mode and then re-engage the "accel" mode.