Anyone try Tornado Fuel Saver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default Anyone try Tornado Fuel Saver?

Has anyone tried using a 'Tornado Fuel Saver' on there FEH? I expect if that technology really worked as advertised that all vehicles would have them. But then again it does not cost anything to ask.

Old 09-28-2005, 04:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Anyone try Tornado Fuel Saver?

Waste. Has been tested many times and does nothing to improve FE. Google it and you can get a ton of info.

Old 09-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I tried it with one of my other cars.. Can't remember which one and it didn't do a thing.. Pretty much a waste of money..

Old 09-28-2005, 11:53 PM

Hi Scottie-d:

___I tried it once. I never saw the tornado but the tail wind worked really good

___In all seriousness, you may want to take a look at a few of these Fuel Saving device test pdf’s from days gone by. None work by the way …

Gas Saving and Emission Reduction Devices Evaluation

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-29-2005, 03:59 AM

I asked the same quesiton a few months ago, and someone pointed out what I missed- air does not flow smoothly into an engine.

The ads are correct in principle- a 'swirled' flow mixes air and fuel more efficiently and homogeneously, and burns better. All gas turbines (jet engines) and many straight- fuel burners (like boilers) have "swirl cups" (actual name) to impart a vortex to the fuel prior to being shot in a continuous atomized stream into the combustion chamber. A fouled swirl cup does significantly decrease performance.

The problem in an internal combustion engine is that neither the fuel nor the air flow continuously or straight into the cylinder. Both are squirted periodically through constrictions and turns and mixed afterwards in the cylinder... any vortex in the air would have been long since destroyed by the time it got to the cylinder.

Furthermore, the process is engineered to NOT have a fully homogeneous fuel-air mixture- there is a specific distribution achieved by the turbulent airflow to maximize the burn and extracted power for that engine's particular geometry, etc. A large part of the power/efficiency increases of the engine itself over the last 25 years has come from modeling and tweaking the exact combustion process with ever greater precision and detail. We've pretty much maxed out the 4-stroke Otto cycle itself for efficiency.

Net effect of "tornado" air flow: zero.

Last edited by gonavy; 09-29-2005 at 05:28 AM. Reason: technical errors/clarification