[ANNOUNCE] transaxle database

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Engineering first
Wink [ANNOUNCE] transaxle database

Hi folks,

I wanted to start an open database of transaxle oil test results. I found "toyota-prius-sat2" in http://www.yahoogroups.com/ has the space and minimum features needed. Although oil testing services return more metrics, I had a 10 column limit:

1) prius year
2) type (T/WS/amsoil)
3) miles
4) Viscosity cSt 40C
5) Viscosity cSt 100C
6) Silicon
7) Aluminum
8) Iron
9) Copper
10) Nickle

The year, type and miles obviously tell us what service the oil provided. Viscosity provides an indication of wear with 15% being the threshold for ready to replace. Silicon and Aluminum are key indicators of contamination by dirt/grit (roughly ratios found on earth.) Iron, copper and nickle are wear materials indicating loss of gear surfaces and bearing material.

I've pre-loaded the database with baseline samples of Type T, Type WS and Amsoil ATF. There are also six test sample for a total of nine records. Anyone can add a record or view the data. It is there as a public service.

Bob Wilson