Aftermarket Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast
Default Aftermarket Satellite Radio

Is there a problem having an aftermarket satellite radio installed in a 2005 Prius? Will it void any factory or extended warranties?

Old 11-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket Satellite Radio

Instead of replacing the factory radio, why not just ADD an XM modulator?

Don't know about Sirius, but XM has the Roady2 on sale for $29. Comes with everything you need. Activate it online and avoid the $14.99 activation fee. Pay for a three year contract and it works out to $9.99/month.

The Roady2 comes with an FM modulator, which plays the satellite channels through a selectable FM channel. It sounds fine, but there is a slight degredation in sound quality. If you're really concerned about the fidelity of the music, you can always add an inline modulator that plugs into your FM antenna cable which will produce great sounds!

www.xmradio.com

Last edited by bar10dah; 11-30-2005 at 01:33 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-30-2005, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

I put a kenwood sirius ready reciever in my 05 prius and added new speaks and tweets in the front...WOW what a difference. im in the car alot and had to get rid of the stock one. I am using a sirius Blaupunkt SR-04 through the air satellite and it sounds great. just tune the sat and the radio to the same station and hello satellite. as soon as my tuner box comes in im going to only use the radio. There are a few tricks to get the display to work properly so make sure whoever puts it in knows what they are doing , or you can email me and ill give you the pointers you need...Good luck! Dean

Old 12-02-2005, 04:14 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

There is no what that I would replace the factory head unit, especially with its integration into the MFD and the data display it has there.

Go here: http://www.factoryinteractive.com/

They sell the compatible XM and Sirius tuner units which integrate into the Prius stereo and use the MFD for track/channel information display and lots of memories. This route is your best way to go and the most integrated and seamless as far as the radio/MFD relationship is concerned.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:26 AM
Engineering first

Hi Dean,

Originally Posted by Clubford00
I put a kenwood sirius ready reciever in my 05 prius and added new speaks and tweets in the front...WOW what a difference. . . .
I'm a great believer in improved speakers being the first step in any sound system upgrade. But can you give some details about limitations of the OEM radio?

For example, was there evidence of 'noise' or a shortcoming in equalization?

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

Old 12-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dsusskind
Is there a problem having an aftermarket satellite radio installed in a 2005 Prius? Will it void any factory or extended warranties?
I had an Audiovox XM unit w/ a cup-holder mount and it was a pain in the rear.

Recently switched to the Xact VISOR (which sells for $50). It fits neatly in the little slot just below the factory unit. During the day, it's tough to see the display through the plastic, but it looks sweet at night and in the afternoons. I put the antenna on the middle speaker and unless you look hard, you'd never know it was installed. With the agressive angle on the winshield, it works great.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm glad to know that it is possible to put an XM antenna inside the ar on the dash someplace rather than having to route wire to the oustide of the vehicle.