2009 Prius Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Happy Prius 2007 Owner.
Default Re: Prius re-design on the way?

"I actually am surprised those features weren't part of the Prius, fluteman, now that you mention them. They sound like a perfect fit."

I understand the rationale behind the motorized seats and steering wheel to be that of excesive weight due to extra motors that would have little use, but you can also use very small motors to move big things provided you use the right mechanism. Even a servo from an R/C model can provide sufficient torque to move big things like sails on a sailboat . . . it would take a longer time though. Then again, Prius drivers are very patient to put up with all the new driving techniques and all, just to get better mileage. May be Toyota didn't expect the Prii mob to be this enthused.

On the other hand, I feel any bunch of college kids could design the whole thing under four ponds any given weekend, probably even lighter if you promised them extra point for light weight.

Last edited by fluteman; 03-25-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If it's a weight issue maybe each seat should have been built-to-order so it's adjusted just once but the weight of the parts to do it is left behind at the factory.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Happy Prius 2007 Owner.
Cool Re: Prius re-design on the way?

I understand the idea is to have multiple users for the same car . . . (wife, yourself, etc etc). Thus, parts are to stay in the car at all times.

Last edited by fluteman; 03-25-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe for you - no one drives my car but me, that's for sure, and most unmarried drivers (and even some married!) I know are the same way.

If adding the parts would add weight and reduce MPG it would be especially nice for single-user cars like mine to be adjusted just once at manufacture time.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2009 Prius photo in March '07 Popular Mechanics

See: http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...s/4212545.html

Last edited by tgnoffo; 03-29-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: Typo in headline
Old 03-29-2007, 01:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 2009 Prius photo in March '07 Popular Mechanics

looks like a photochop to me... much more bland than the current "cute" model. i would love to see the prius grow in width :thumbsup: and get 80 mpg :doublethumbsup:

Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by the funk
looks like a photochop to me... much more bland than the current "cute" model. i would love to see the prius grow in width :thumbsup: and get 80 mpg :doublethumbsup:
Agreed... This picture looks manipulated. There's something strange about how the windshield reflects the sky.

That being said, I doubt that Toyota would play around too much with the Prius "look", since the car has a very low drag coefficient in it's current configuration.

I *am* interested in the fact that the clever engineers at Toyota have managed to incorporate a more powerful engine while somehow *increasing* fuel economy.

I have doubts about a solar panel accessory. Direct sunlight over the car's relatively small surface area just wouldn't provide that much power.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
I have doubts about a solar panel accessory. Direct sunlight over the car's relatively small surface area just wouldn't provide that much power.
There is a company in Canada who had a solar roof panel conversion for a Prius. I'll see if I can find the story....

Actually, it was maybe only one guy:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005...oweraugme.html

Old 03-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

That shape reminds me of the Ford Aerostar minivan.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default 2009 Prius (spy photo)

Don't know if many have seen this, but this photo is from my March Popular Mechanics - I scanned as best I could.

Let me just say - this is a NICE looking car. The performance data in the article was sketchy - gave the impression that the plug-in would be an option eventually, and quoted 80 mpg.

Quick Reply: 2009 Prius Thread

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands